EBook version of Microsoft Training Guide 70-511 - NOTE: Currently not available RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Corrected - Looks like just 70-511 includes everything

The eBook versions of the Microsoft Training Guide for 70-511 at http://oreilly.com/  does include everything on the companion disk including the practice questions.

I wrote to O'Reilly and was told they do not contain this but I have just downloaded 70-511 and installed the practice exam application.  This may be a mistake.

I am not connected with Oreilly or MS Press so if they remove the questions do not come back to me :-)

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

• Edited by Geoff Clark MCM Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:49 PM Change of Situation
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I just want to share some information I got from oreilly. I checked the page and wanted to buy the ebooks of the 70-511 and 70-515 books but I was unable to find them. So I wrote them an email and got a quick answer:

"We have temporarily stopped selling the ebooks of the training kits, because we couldn't put the practice test software online for download and we don't have an alternative delivery mechanism in place for them. It's really not worth it to sell the ebooks without the additional content that they depend on. We should have a solution in place soon, so when that happens, we'll resume selling the ebook versions of the training kits."

So at the moment there is no ebook available in the store there. This is not that nice in my eyes but I can understand it. The practice test questions and the ebook itself which is on the CD cannot be made available to all people. So the normal support download of CD content cannot be used.

Ok, what a shame. So I am thinking of just getting the books - that way I get the ebook in PDF form, too.

And 2 things I saw:

a) Oreilly has a nice offer: buy 2 books and get a 3rd for free. That is quite nice.
    b) I was surprised: Oreilly offers a quite nice online access to all the books for a not s high monthly fee. So far I only knew books24x7 (Through my company and also through the Microsoft eReference Library) and it is quite good (And I liked the possibility to download complete chapters!)

I am also not connected with Oreilly but I was really surprised when I checked their offers so I just wanted to share it ...

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.  I have used both Safari  (O'Reilly) and Books 24x7 (includes a Microsoft only subscription via Microsoft) both are good, if you are an ACM member you get a discount.

The other good sources I have found are deals of the day:

1. Apress (apress.com) offer an E-Book of the day for $10 (today a Silverlight 4 book).

2. Informit (informit.com) offer an E-Book of the day for $9.99.

3. Manning (Manning.com) offer a special every day, normally 50% off one or more eBook.

4. Oreilly offer at least an O'Reilly book and a Microsoft book with 50% off every day.  Further if you register you can buy any two Ebooks with 50% discount.

I find all these offers a great way of getting high quality information.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

MCPD * 7, MCITP * 4

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:25 AM