Format Style RRS feed

• Question

•  

All,

I am preparing to build a Home Server. I would like to preload the files on a one of my 750 gb drives I will be installing. My question is what format style should I use? MBR or GUID.

Thanks in Advance

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:40 AM

Answers

•  robertmyhtpc wrote:

All,

I am preparing to build a Home Server. I would like to preload the files on a one of my 750 gb drives I will be installing. My question is what format style should I use? MBR or GUID.

Thanks in Advance

If you preload any files or software on to your HDD before installing it on WHS, all the file and data will be lost, WHS will format the HDD when you add it to WHS.

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:52 AM

All replies

•  robertmyhtpc wrote:

All,

Thanks in Advance

If you preload any files or software on to your HDD before installing it on WHS, all the file and data will be lost, WHS will format the HDD when you add it to WHS.

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Richard,

Thanks for the responce, but from my interpretation of the manual, I could run the install and maintane the data disks data?

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:07 AM
  • No. When you install Windows Home Server for the first time on a computer (so there's no pre-existing WHS signature to be detected) Windows Home Server will format every drive it finds. The only way to keep a drive from being formatted is to disconnect it or to fail to provide proper storage drivers for the controller it's connected to.
    Friday, November 30, 2007 2:37 AM