What are the Advanced Find Limitations? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know of any content or documentation on the exact limitations of Advanced Find?

Limitation #1  = I am currently unable to acquire results based on a querie built upon simple AND logic - Find A, where A exists in X1 AND X2. 

For example:

“Find only those contacts that are members of both Conference 2010, and Conference 2008 groups”.

For the statement above my query would look like:

[Contacts]
     - related: [Group Membership]
                    Group = Conference 2010
             AND Group = Conference 2008

This query yields no results, but I happen to know it should. Any direction or support is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• You should select multiple Group Membership records (Conf 2010 and Conf 2008) in a single row, using the Group Membership field's Lookup control.

--Dodd
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:49 PM
  • You should select multiple Group Membership records (Conf 2010 and Conf 2008) in a single row, using the Group Membership field's Lookup control.

--Dodd

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I do not understand what you mean. Could you give me an illustration of how I should structure my advanced find query in Advanced Find so that I am able to run the 'AND' logic.

Again, I am trying to expose the exact limitations of advanced find. Currently there are situations whereby a query is built, the logic cannot be satisfied and the query simply returns 'No results' instead of prompting the user to the 'illegal' query logic.

Thanks

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:02 AM
  • I think the previous answer would produce an OR condition.

I'm assuming you have a 1-Many relationship from Contact to a Group Membership entity, and a 1 to Many relationship from a Group entity to the Group Membership entity ? If so, the query can be done, but it's a bit twisted. Try the following:

[Contacts]
                    Group =
    Conference 2010
       - related: Contact
                    Group = Conference 2008

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, July 15, 2011 2:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by LukeDunn Monday, July 18, 2011 9:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by LukeDunn Monday, July 18, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Okay, If you have a M:M or a M:1 relationship between your Contacts and the entity called Group Membership, you are currently doing this (and correct me if I'm wrong):

Look For: Contacts

First Row: [Related] Group Membership (Your entity with a 1:M or a M:M relationship to Contacts)

Second Row: Select Group Membership (The name of the Lookup field to the Group Membership entity); Select Equals; Select Conf 2010 (you selected this from the lookup dialog)

Thirds Row: Select Group Membership (The name of the Lookup field to the Group Membership entity); Select Equals; Select Conf 2008 (you selected this from the lookup dialog)

You then select both rows, then go to the ribbon and select Group AND.

When you perform the Advanced Find criteria in this manner you will retrieve no results, even though it seems rational since a Single Contact can belong to multiple Group Membership Records. However, the proper way to perform this query is to do the following:

Look For: Contacts

First Row: [Related] Group Membership

Second Row: Select Group Membership (The name of the Lookup field to the Group Membership entity) Select Equals; ; Select

Run your query, you should produce the correct results.

--Dodd
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Thank you both very much for you input. I THINK I have managed to structure an AND query in Adv.Find using the query provided by DavidJennaway. MDodd I was interested to see where your query was leading but I don't think you posted the complete query?

Thanks,

Luke

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:35 AM
  • My post was cut off, but David beat me to the punch. He was correct (as I found) that specifying multiple values in the Group Membership lookup carries an OR condition...

--Dodd
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:47 PM