Mac OSX support RRS feed

• General discussion

• I can't seem to find support for OSX. I have a few OSX computers in my house (as well as several Windows Vista PC's) and would like to have backup and media functionality from WHS as well.

Also, the remote access wold work better for me if it allowed remote computer (RDP) from OSX computers.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:59 PM

All replies

• To deny Apple support in a home server flys in the face of reality.

Many accept the existence and embrace the products of Apple.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:42 PM
  • I was sure I had read something about Mac support on WHS. Weird thing is, any search for OSX or MAc on this board returns nothing.

I tried to get my Mac Mini to see the WHS today, but seemingly I have an alias called Server that it wants me to modify or erase before I can connect to Server (the WHS machine)... but tells me I have insufficient rights to make that change. Spooky  :-)

Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:56 PM
  • I have an OS X box and have had no issues connecting/using shares and have a user account setup as well. I haven't tried to back it up with WHS yet.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 2:40 PM
  • I have an existing install of Virtual PC that has Windows XP on it ... it appears as if this is my other 'Server' alias. I need to find a couple of hours to play to see if just uninstalling that fixes the problem I have.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 9:11 PM
  • I can access shares, but not remote desktop ... looks like this is an issue that has been fixed according to the reports on Connect.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Remote Desktop works fine for me from both my G4 Mini and MB Pro. The only thing I have to do is use the server IP address instead of name for some reason, but other than that it works fine.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Through the remote access web page, only the shared folders show up and at least the uploading feature does not work under Safari. It does work under Firefox though.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:08 PM
  • It pretty much looks like you need IE to use all of the features

I can not upload files using Safari, but Camino works?

As far a taking remote control of Vista, the Computer tab does not show up in Opera, Camino or Safari.

Plus even from XP, using Firefox the Computer tab is not availabe, but it is there using IE.

Bob

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Same issue with Safari (didnt try the latest 3.0).

Camino is doing the job of uploading files on my mac's.

So Firefox & Camino are just fine for whs.

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:14 PM
  • I don't know why a search for OS-X or Mac doesn't return any results on here.  I know for a fact that I've posted in several threads regarding those topics.

As far as support for OS-X, there has been no official word from Microsoft on any support for OS-X beyond just connecting to the shares.  OS-X can connect with no problems to shares on WHS using the SMB protocol.  On my network, I was able to use the server's name to connect.  I do have my server set up with a static IP address, though, so that may have an effect on it.

As far as supporting backup of OS-X, there is no functionality for that in WHS.  You can, however, use any method on the Mac side for backing up that supports backing up to network shares.  I haven't personally tested any, as the only decent Mac in the house is my wife's and she doesn't let me play around with it too much.

The remote access page seems to require IE if you want to control any computers on the network.  Not surprising, as they would have the easiest time making their own browser work for something like this.  Everything else seems to work the same in Firefox, though.

Remote desktop into WHS can be accomplished from a Mac.  You'll just need the remote desktop application for Mac that's freely available from Microsoft.  I don't feel like looking it up right now, but Ken Warren pointed it out to me in another OS-X thread connectivity thread that I started a week or two ago.

I hope this helps some.  I'd love to see Connector for Mac, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Remotedesktop is working fine on macosx.

backup items is simple, just mount your whs shares and copy to it Smile

It would be nice if there comes indeed an connector for mac. But manually copy works also for me Smile

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:24 AM
  •  Rini wrote:

backup items is simple, just mount your whs shares and copy to it

It would be nice if there comes indeed an connector for mac. But manually copy works also for me

Manual copy for backup (or manual anything for backup) is precisely the reason why most people never perform backups.  I know that's one of the main reasons why I never kept up a backup system before WHS.  And I still don't have a workable one for the Macs in my house.  I wish I could see how (or if) Time Machine on Leopard will work with WHS.  Anybody on the WHS team have a dev copy of Leopard to play around with for testing purposes?

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:09 PM