CRM Campaigns - Email Attachments RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been exploring all of the different ways to use our Email campaigns in house.  So far, I've been fortunate enough to only need to use the e-mail with mail merge, or email function. however, I recently had a client ask how to attach a file to the emails associated in mail out campaigns, or emails sent to a marketing ideas. 

I'm thinking the solution is staring me in the face, however, have not been able to find where to attach a file!

Please help!

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, in the current version of Dynamics CRM you cannot attach any files to the emails sent as bulk emails or as part of e.g. quick campaigns... After the Resource Center: "Attachments can only be made to single e-mails sent from Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Bulk e-mails and e-mails sent using mail merge can not currently accept attachments."

If you create a campaign activity of type email and you add a note to it, that note will not be populated as an email attachment when you distribute that campaign activity - in fact an email will be created without any attachment, and the file will still be attached to the campaign activity itself.

However, if you really need that functionality, you may consider using a manual workflow as a workaround. Emails sent by workflows can have attachments and you can create a manual workflow that sends particular emails to the chosen clients, exactly like the campaign would. However, this is only a workaround, not a final solution... Sad

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kuba

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

As stated, you are currently unable to send attachments via mail merge/ email mailouts... however a workaround would be to make the attachments available on a website and post the links into your mailouts.

This would enable you to track access easily as well as save on the amount of data that you are sending through yours and recipients mail systems.

Hope that helps

Allan

http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, in the current version of Dynamics CRM you cannot attach any files to the emails sent as bulk emails or as part of e.g. quick campaigns... After the Resource Center: "Attachments can only be made to single e-mails sent from Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Bulk e-mails and e-mails sent using mail merge can not currently accept attachments."

If you create a campaign activity of type email and you add a note to it, that note will not be populated as an email attachment when you distribute that campaign activity - in fact an email will be created without any attachment, and the file will still be attached to the campaign activity itself.

However, if you really need that functionality, you may consider using a manual workflow as a workaround. Emails sent by workflows can have attachments and you can create a manual workflow that sends particular emails to the chosen clients, exactly like the campaign would. However, this is only a workaround, not a final solution... Sad

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kuba

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

As stated, you are currently unable to send attachments via mail merge/ email mailouts... however a workaround would be to make the attachments available on a website and post the links into your mailouts.

This would enable you to track access easily as well as save on the amount of data that you are sending through yours and recipients mail systems.

Hope that helps

Allan

http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:17 AM