none
PP3 and Win7 issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win7 64bit running on client PCs and I've installed the new PP3 release that we got this week. Two features that PP3 supposedly includes are:

1.  Integration of WHS Shared folders in the client libraries.

2. Enabling of WHS server as a desination for client PC image backups.

The library integration is working nicely, e.g. the Music library has a new entry that points to the Music folder on the server. But I had expected that the server would also show up as one of the computers in the Network folder. And it does, occasionally. But not consistently. Sometimes it's there and sometimes not. Is there something one can do to have this present consistently?

I am also getting some messages about the library containg folders that can't be indexed. Aren't the WHS folders indexed automaticlly? When I go to the Indexing setup I don't see the WHS server as an option.

As far as the Image backup is concerned, I do not see the WHS as an optional destination. I can only point to other HDDs on the PC for image backups, and not the server. Just as before. Do I need to do something to enable this?

I would be grateful for your input.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

WHS with PP3 will index your folders automatically if there is at least one file in it. you do not need to chnage any settings.

Concerning the "PC image backups": I think this is a mis understanding. You do not need to backup you client to WHS using any tools on the client. With WHS when you install the Windows Home Server Client Connector your PC will be automatically backed-up when you leave it switch on (or sleeping) during the nightly backup window. More on this you can find here and here?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:56 PM
  • To explain the backups further: without Power pack 3, Windows 7 will alert you if the image backup is not configured, regardless of whether Windows Home Server backups are configured or not. Power Pack 3 prevents this (unnecessary) alert.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:58 PM