none
WHS Crash/Data Loss/Everything in the books. please help RRS feed

• Question

• I built a WHS server for my brother in law telling him it was the best thing.  He's a MAC guy and does tons of photo editing and decided to RDP to the server and upload files rather then follow what I recommended.  The result was him uploading 500GB of raw images to a folder that wasn't part of the WHS Shared Folders or recognized folders (he created a new folder).

Result is now the consol won't load with Error

"The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it.  If the problem persists, please call Product Support"

I thought all the previous files where there because I could see them.  But I decided to rebuild his WHS today and while trying to copy the files off, I get the Error:

"Cannot copy _______: The file can not be accessed by the system"

I realize there was a mistake on his part on how he tried to add data to the system, but is that it?  Did we really loose all of the previous data?  This is a horrible situation....

Any recommendations are really appreciated. 

Pirooz Javan
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:21 PM

Answers

• Please consult this FAQ. It tells you how to access the actual files on the various drives in the storage pool, rather than the tombstones stored in D:\Shares\etc. Recover your files to external storage and do a factory reset (I don't trust the state of the storage pool given the errors you report) then rebuild the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Pirooz Javan Friday, December 10, 2010 11:33 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:56 PM

All replies

• Please consult this FAQ. It tells you how to access the actual files on the various drives in the storage pool, rather than the tombstones stored in D:\Shares\etc. Recover your files to external storage and do a factory reset (I don't trust the state of the storage pool given the errors you report) then rebuild the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Pirooz Javan Friday, December 10, 2010 11:33 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Ken,

I finally got around to following the FAQ and went for a server reinstallation.  After the first part of the installation for which I loaded the drivers, the system reboots and does the blue screen of death which I'm familiar with.  In every WHS install I've done (4 so far), I can hit F6 and load the  drivers.  It seems that this time with the reinstallation (not sure if this is the cause), hitting F6 does nothing for me.  I've tried two different keyboards, wired and unwired.  

Any advice on how to proceed now would be appreciated.

PJ

20 Bay WHS
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:38 PM
  • After attempts at many different paths and no resolution, I did a clean installation and it worked.

There is potentially something wrong with F6 and doing a server reinstallation.

20 Bay WHS
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:33 PM