Looking towards the future using Money RRS feed

• Question

• With Microsoft continuing to develop Edge as the default browser it is not difficult to imagine the day when Internet Explorer is "retired".  I would be interested to know if anyone has experimented with getting Money to work with Edge instead of IE.  I can't currently conceive of running my life without Microsoft Money and am just trying to think ahead as to how it could be "future proofed".  Maybe there is a way to fool Money into thinking it is opening IE or perhaps the programme code is so different it will never work.  All the same, it would be good to know if it could ever be possible.

ChrisWillsher

Saturday, February 4, 2017 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris

I'm confused. Money works on it's own, not with IE or any other programme, so Edge's progress is irrelevant?

Dr AS

Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Sadly this is not the case.  By default Money used to require an earlier version of Internet Explorer (version 6) to run at all is it actually uses the browser as its basic interface.  When Windows 10 first appeared the version of Internet Explorer 11 reported its version number in a format that Money could not interpret and there were various registry edits that were required to get everything working again. Then Microsoft changed the version number itself and the problem went away. I quote an entry from Ameridan's Microsoft Money Blog:

"Unlike a program that generically invokes a browser by simply looking up the registry to identify the default browser, Microsoft Money is designed to use Internet Explorer exclusively as the entire user interface and consequently it looks up the registry to find the installed version.  If no entry is found, it will default to prompting you to install Internet Explorer 6 – which of course will never install with Windows 8 or 10."

You can read more on the subject at the blog here: https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-compatibility-with-microsoft-money/

Hence my question about the long term future on using Money if Internet Explorer is eventually completely replaced by Edge. 

ChrisWillsher

Sunday, February 5, 2017 10:41 AM
  • I assumed that when Microsoft updated and the problem "went away" that removed the need for IE.

Dr AS

Sunday, February 5, 2017 11:27 AM
  • Money's user interface is provided by the Money program, not by Internet Explorer.

Money's financial recording functions are supplied by the Money program and do not depend on a browser. These will not change if Internet Explorer is no longer available and Money versions will still function as financial recording programs.

There are a number of information accesses included in the Money user interface. If Internet Explorer is not available these will not work (unless Microsoft decides to spoof Windows programs to use Edge or some other browser instead of IE). These functions are simply shortcuts to web pages and are set to use Internet Explorer only. They neither affect nor access the financial information recorded by the Money program. In my Money 2005 UK all of the shortcuts just go to the MSN home page, not to the information sources they were originally intended to access.

Sunday, February 5, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Accepting what you say, it is my understanding that with all versions of Money unless a valid version of IE exists the programme install will fail. I use Money as a local programme that requires no links to external locations.  I would like to think that I will still be able to create a valid installation at some time in the future when IE might not exist.  It would be a pity for an install routine to fail for the non existence of an application that is not actually required to run the programme but its existence and validity is required for legacy reasons.  I do not know to what extent people are still able to access external links with the Sunset edition of Money but personally I have not used external links for many years. 

ChrisWillsher

Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:10 PM
  • I think we need to replace "It is my understanding..." with "I tried and this happened...". A brave soul with, probably, a spare PC needs to uninstall IE, and attempt to install MSMoney and let us know how it goes. Personally I shall cook dinner and cross that bridge when I get to it.

Dr AS

Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:44 PM
  • Been there, done that.  Simple answer is no valid version of IE, Money (Sunset edition anyway) installation fails.  I can't recall exact message but that is what happened when the first problems of incorrect version number of IE appeared before more knowledgeable people than I discovered the issue and created the registry hack.   Enjoy your dinner.  I am about to go and switch the oven on myself!

Chris

ChrisWillsher

Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:53 PM
  • I understand and accept the original question ~ Money requires IE for successful installation ~ what to do, in future, if IE does not exist?  One solution is to keep Money on an old PC, another would be to install a Virtual Machine on the new 'Edge only' computer, load that with Windows 98SE, XP or 7 and install your version of Money in that. I've got Money 2000 UK to run in a VM but prefer to hang on to an old PC.

Teabag   

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:50 PM