none
Restoring a RAID-based backup to a new non-RAID disk (7b error) RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm getting a BSOD 7b error during boot up after restoring a RAID 0 based WHS back up to a single new larger HD (Non-Raid). (Same comuputer hardware, Vista sp1 32bit.)

I'm assuming this is due to the WHS installing the RAID driver from the backup since the 7b error is usually generated due to storage issues.

If this assumption is true, is there a way to easily fix this?  (I can always reinstall, but if this solution is faster...)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It might be worth trying: Open any backup for the Client and copy off all the files in the folder 'Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore' to a USB stick. On there, replace the appropriate driver with the correct version and then leave the USB stick in the Client while attempting a restore. Pressing F6 repeatedly while the CD is starting should give you the option of loading OEM drivers.  The restore CD should recognise the thumb drive and use the drivers there during it's restore.
    A more risky option would be to update the appropriate driver on the CLient to the non-RAID version and then run a backup before doing anything else.This should then create a backup with the 'correct' drivers.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:14 PM
  • It's probably due to the RAID driver, and the lack of another driver for the "new" storage controller. (IDE? SATA?)

You can try using the repair console on your Vista installation media (if you have Vista installation media, and not a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer). That will probably let you get your computer working again. If you don't have Vista installation media let us know, as there are other things that you could try.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Option 1 is the only one that sounds resonable in comparison to a new install.  But I guess I'm going to take the safe path and reinstall since that's something I know will work.  All my "let's experiment!" brain cells are under seige by a head cold.

The second option though - The BSOD keeps me from booting into Vista.  If I understand what you are proposing for the second option - I'd have to re-enable the RAID array, restore to it, update the driver (which since I'm trying to move to non-raid, should be inbox Vista drivers and shouldn't require an OEM one), create a new back up, and then disable the Raid array and restore to the new drive.

Thanks for the help,

M.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:43 PM

• There's nothing wrong with doing what Colin was suggesting.  I've done it before and it does work.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:39 AM
  • I have just done this, but with XP. First I updated the BIOS for the disks by changing it from RAID to AHCI on the Advanced Tab. 
    Then during the Boot sequence I got into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, by pressing Control I {that is the letter I not 1} and changed the disk configuration by deleting the RAID volumes defined there. You have to hold down Ctrl I when the screen displays the disk configuration before Windows fires up.
    The info is on the Intel website at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/
    Then I used the HP Recovery disk to recover XP - which a quick way of ensuring that I had the "new" disk avaliable, because my RAID configuration was the 2 disks mirrored to appear as one.
    After that I used the PC Recovery disks to restore about 230 gig from the Home Server. 
    The first Boot was slow because I assume Plug & Play was discovering the "new" disks...  subsequent Boots are close to the previous time.

It took some time to discover all of this - even the HP Help Desk did not know how to do it !!!
    Hope this works for you ....
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:46 PM