Networking help please....... RRS feed

• Question

• ......Hi all, I have 50Mb broadband which is connected to a Wireless N router, there is a switch after the router then my WHS and Main PC connected to the switch

Since doing this the website is still available locally as in //server but not as the external webpage https:// etc etc (no port mapping errors from the console)

I preferably want the router at the front of the network for security, any ideas anyone?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:51 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the replies Ken and Al,

I had a look last night and basically checked all the wiring and the settings in the router.

before adding the switch my router was giving the server the fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2 but then after adding the switch it had changed it to 192.168.1.11 but not allowing any ports to be forwarded to 192.168.1.11 so it was pointing back at the old fixed IP which was no longer there.

I only noticed all this when I looked on the Colsole>Settings>Remote Access and noticed that it listed the 192.168.1.11 address and not the old one which it always was set at

Thanks for the help guys in trying to sort my problem (thumbs up)

• Proposed as answer by Al West Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:56 PM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:09 AM

All replies

• First, have you tested from someplace other than your home? If not, do so.

You said: "I have 50Mb broadband..."

You have a cable, DSL, or fiber modem, I assume. Check to see if it's also acting as a router. (Your broadband provider's support should be able to walk you through this.) If it is acting as a router, see if you can put it in "bridge" or "passthrough" mode.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi Ken,

The Modem is just a modem not a modem/router, yes its cable (fibre optic from Virgin Media)

I have tried from various locations to log onto my home page, work, home, friends house etc and no joy.

I know this has only happened since adding the switch to the equasion, but the switch has improved my transfer speeds from the main PC moving data to the server by more than 5x so im not going to remove it, by the way the switch is also unmanaged if that helps.

SO the setup is as follows:-

Cable Modem>Router>Switch>WHS & Main PC

I could move the switch to the front of the network but I would prefer not to do that due to the security vulnerabilities that would ensue.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:23 AM
  • In that case you need to set your Cable Modem to Bridge Mode as you do have a router after it.
    --
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:35 AM
  • You cannot do anything with the Modem its a modem, nothing more, bear in mind that the setup has Never changed other than the fact that the switch has been added.

The WHS and the Main PC just used to be wired into the Router via its built in switch, but its only capable of 10/100 not 10/100/1000 like the switch is

My transfer speeds used to be around 10Mb per second when using the routers switch, with the gigabit switch I am getting 50Mb per second +

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:20 PM
  • What is the make and model of the switch?

--
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:43 PM
    I know this has only happened since adding the switch to the equasion, but the switch has improved my transfer speeds from the main PC moving data to the server by more than 5x so im not going to remove it, by the way the switch is also unmanaged if that helps.
    Your initial post didn't say anything about the issue only starting after the switch was added to your network. The switch is likely the problem. As a test, remove the switch from your network and go back to having computers (and your server) connected directly to the router. If your issue clears up, the problem is the switch. Since the switch is unmanaged, you'll have to replace it in that case, because an unmanaged switch has no configuration options. "It is what it is."

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Its a Pluscom switch

As far as I am aware switches are just points that do not limit anything correct? they only pass data around as oppose to handling it

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Switches translate MAC requests to Phyiscal ports - you are thinking about a hub.  Cheap switches may or may not work reliably - by the fact I couldn't find the switch in google shopping I would be tempted to say the switch isn't up to the job

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Pluscom+GIGABIT&hl=en&aq=f

Hopefully the retailer will take it back or offer you credit against a netgear or similar standard unit.  Though you should confirm this by removing the switch from the network and seeing if this resolves your problem.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=netgear%20gigabit&rlz=1I7GGLD_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

--
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thank you for the replies Ken and Al,

I had a look last night and basically checked all the wiring and the settings in the router.

before adding the switch my router was giving the server the fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2 but then after adding the switch it had changed it to 192.168.1.11 but not allowing any ports to be forwarded to 192.168.1.11 so it was pointing back at the old fixed IP which was no longer there.

I only noticed all this when I looked on the Colsole>Settings>Remote Access and noticed that it listed the 192.168.1.11 address and not the old one which it always was set at

Thanks for the help guys in trying to sort my problem (thumbs up)

• Proposed as answer by Al West Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:56 PM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:09 AM