Tune-up Defrag Partically completes RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I run tune-up the defrag in the report only shows partically complete.

I get

* C:\ Defragmentation Particaly completed

E:\ Not yet started

* Because high levels of fragmentation defrag could not be complete in this tune-up and are marked for defragmentation in future tune-ups.

and Tune-up never touches my E:\ drive.

Not even the virus scan scans E:\ Unless I right click E:\ and tell it to scan

These are a few of my little observations

This only happens on my large vista Ultimate computer My XP Home SP2 system blast thru tune-up in minutes No issues

My vista computer is 2 320gig Hard drives

XP system 2 40gig Hard drives runs. Tune-up perfectly No issues

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:54 AM

Answers

• Is E:\ internal or external?

You might want to open a support case to get this looked at Mikro. Did it happen in the beta?

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:49 AM

All replies

• Is E:\ internal or external?

You might want to open a support case to get this looked at Mikro. Did it happen in the beta?

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:49 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Is E:\ internal or external?

-steve

E:\ is another internal 320 it's used as my vista bakup and My documents Yep you read right 320gigs for documents Music video pictures and important files and windows vista bakup I think the bakup files are the problem.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:23 AM
  • I have had the same problem. I like the integration of Onecare with Vista. It seems also to run nicely in the background. But not defragging completely seems like a problem that might prevent me from actually buying this once the trial ends.

I want it to work so I hope someone out there has the answer for us.

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Which problem, Brent, that Defrag doesn't touch one of your partitions or that it doesn't complete? Note that the completion of a Defrag is "relative" in that a drive is never actually fully defragmented since new fragments are always being created. Note also that Vista performs a defrag in the background when the PC is idle, addressing the most highly fragmented files, so the OneCare defrag during Tune-up is really bonus. The way Defrag works with OneCare is that it uses the Windows Defrag utility and it runs each time a Tune-up is performed. Each successive Tune-up will continue to defrag the partition and eventually it will complete unless your PC usage causes high fragmentation between Tune-ups.

Personally, if you like all else in OneCare, I certainly not be making a purchase decision based on the Defrag function alone.

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:03 PM
  • I just to like to point out after few months and final release of 2.0 The tune-up Behavior discribed above is still showing up in Vista on OC Build 2.0.2500.14

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:17 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I have the same problem.  In Windows One Care defrag I always get the same message that the defrag for my "C" drive is only partically completed and that files on that drive have been marked for future defragmentation.  However, Windows One Care completes the successful defragmentation of my external hard drive ("F") without any problem.

When I run the Windows Vista Ultimate defragmentation feature, my defragmentation is fully successful AND the defragmentation takes only a fraction of the time!

Because of this, I'd love to be able to control individual features within the Tune-up so I can shut off the Windows One Care deframentation feature, which seems to be doing me no good at all.  I hope that the Windows One Care Team will include "individual control features" in their next versions.

Do you happen to know if Windows One Care 2.0 is using the same defrag method as Windows Vista?

Thanks in advance.

- Elliot

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:09 PM
  •  

Same problem here...

New computer.  New Vista installation.  New One Care...

Yes, my one care also tries to defragment my C driver (during tune up), but it quits at about 30 percent the way through, saying it'll come back and try again another time.  It never makes it all the way through.  After several tries, I'm wondering if it will ever do the job or am I going to have to buy a third party defrager.

We'lll see if it eventually chews it's way through to 100 percent.  I'll give it a month.

However, I do wonder how important defragmentation really is.  Perhaps 30 percent is good enough with Vista.  Think?

Cheers, Don.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:28 PM
  • Since Vista always defrags when the PC is idle, I would not worry about the fact that OneCare doesn't complete it during Tune-up. If it does complete, as soon as it is done, there will be new fragmentation - that's simply the way the file system works.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:21 AM
  • Okay thanks, Steve.  I built my new computer myself (first-time builder) and I'd rather use the program that handles the task the best, in this case, Windows Vista Defrag.

Hopefully, future versions of Windows One Care will allow the user to shut this feature off.  Right now WOC only permits you to delay the function for a maxium period of 4 weeks.

I noticed another little problem with WOC pertaining to the clean-up of so-called "unnecessary files."  ..... ActiveX Controls are very necessary and should not be cleaned up.  LOL.  It's counter-productive to have to re-install Adobe Shockwave every time a user visits a site.  The cleanup of unnecessary files should be limited to ".tmp" files and folders, not necessary Internet features.  But perhaps I should save this for another thread.  At least this part of tune-up can be shut off by the user.

I really only purchased WOC for it's anti-virus, malware, and anti-spyware features anyway.  As long as WOC handles those features properly, I don't have a problem.

Best regards,

Elliot

--------------------------
    Intel DG-965WH
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1.86 MHz
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    NVIDIA 8500 GT (512MB)
    iMicro XBlade 450W
    Seagate 320 HD (Internal)
    Western Digital 320 HD (External)
    Samsung 22" (BW216)
    Dual Lightscribe DVDRW's
    Logitech 7.1 Surround Sound
    Logitech G-15 Gaming Keyboard

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:31 AM
  • You're welcome, Elliot, and great job on building the PC. It looks like a great machine!

The features of cleanup and defrag are actually the *same* as the ones included with Windows, they are simply called by OneCare. You can, of course, turn off the cleanup feature, but the defrag option can't be turned off. I know that many would agree with you about wanting the ability to better control what a Tune-up does.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Thanks Steve! .... I'm actually suffering from builder's withdrawal now.  I can't wait to build another!  LOLROTF!  I've been using a computer since 1980, and my first PC was a Tandy-1000EX back in 1986 (300kb internet connection speed, CompuServe).  I always upgraded my computers myself but never had the guts to try building one.  You would have thought that I would have built my own many years before now.  I was 'chicken' for no reason.  It's so much fun!

Thanks for your help too, although I'm still somewhat confused.  If the defrag feature is *the same*, shouldn't they *act* the same?

Not a problem though.  I'm happy with both Vista and One Care. 

- Elliot

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I have XP and the defrag in tune-up has been on 96% for quite awhile. Is it stuck or what. The Icon says it is in progress? This is happening now.

????

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  Model-Behavior wrote:

Thanks for your help too, although I'm still somewhat confused.  If the defrag feature is *the same*, shouldn't they *act* the same?

You would think so, but since the Defrag utility is being executed via a hook or API from OneCare, it can be started and run in ways that won't be the same as running Defrag from the User Interface.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:56 PM
  •  pastorlesofm wrote:

I have XP and the defrag in tune-up has been on 96% for quite awhile. Is it stuck or what. The Icon says it is in progress? This is happening now.

????

Since this post is from last evening (for me) and I'm just now getting back to the forum, can you advise what the current status of this is, pastorlesofm? Did it complete? Note that this is a community forum and not interactive support. If you need to contact support, see - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:00 PM
  • I have been using windows since 3.1.  Very very few of microsofts utilities are worth having.

The least valuable is defrag imho.  Its practically useless.  Let MS defrag at least try to defrag your drive.

Then get PerfectDisc, and then you can see how useless ms defrag really is.

Perfectdisc will truly increase your drive speed and access times.

I have tried OneCare, and until there is an option to disable this useless option, ie...TuneUp, I will never
    purchase it.  I also pass this info to customers of mine.

Never put software on your computer that you can't control.  That's a no brainer.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:45 PM
  • How does this apply to XP vs Vista. In my XP system OneCare has never completed a defrag on my C drive. It reports partial completion even when I run MS Defrag immediately before I run Tune Up.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I'm a new vista/OneCare user (2 months), and the partial defrag problem bothered me a little at first, but I lived with it and now my system is doing a complete defrag. No problem.  In fact, although I had my doubts at first about Vista and OneCare, my system is running very smoothly.   

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  Gnugs wrote:

How does this apply to XP vs Vista. In my XP system OneCare has never completed a defrag on my C drive. It reports partial completion even when I run MS Defrag immediately before I run Tune Up.

It's not something I'd be concerned about. When OneCare executes Defrag, it doesn't check for the level of fragmentation, it just runs and it only runs for a limited time. Not completing is not a problem, as the file system will fragment through use almost immediately anyway.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Now that I have a Vista laptop and not an XP, onecare never reports that defragmentation completed because it says I have a highly defragmented disk...I ran the Vista defragmentation utility and then immediately after ran the OneCare tuneup and OneCare still says that defrag was not completed and that my computer was highly fragmented....just doesn't sound right ...should be consistent.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:50 AM
  • Like many others here I have Vista Ultimate and running WOC. Also confounded by the lack of being able to turn off defrag. Due to the fact that when defrag does not complete, the rest of TuneUp does not finish, as though it is dependant on the defrag.

Is there a work around for this or is the "automatic" TuneUp like a lead balloon? (not gonna fly and hazardous to the computer environment).

Just installed Vista one month and it seems like an OK version, waiting for sp1 tho. and as far as WOC is concerned I would like to have some kind of control over 'auto' programs.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:28 PM
  • If Defrag is failing, then Tune-up will not complete and you should contact support. 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If Defrag is simply not finishing, there is nothing to be concerned about.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:12 AM
  • i figured out how come it only partly defrag :), if you got eny other defragment programs or eny installed on your computer, turn them off, and go back in to one care and run a tune up it should work
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:47 AM