Best way to Set up a Development Environment for CRM 4.0 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a development environment which will allow me to simply import and export all of my customizations.  Here are my constraints.

1.  We have an existing production environment, so some customizations would need to be copied to the new development server.  This isn't that big of an issue, but is something to keep in mind.

2.  We have CRM Professional edition, so using multiple organizations is out of the question. 

3.  We are a financial services organization in the US, and are required to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley.  This means I as the customization developer cannot be the one to implement the changes to the production environment, so the process needs to be as simple as possible for a non-expert to implement. 

The only issue we are having right now is getting the Entity customizations to be imported correctly without any issues.   I'm sure many of you are aware of the issue which can result from importing customizations which can make it so you can neither delete nor publish the entities.  Does anyone have any recommendations on setting up such an environment?

Monday, March 8, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

• Have a look at this article and see if it helps.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:57 PM

All replies

• Have a look at this article and see if it helps.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:57 PM
  • It's certainly a good description of what needs to happen with CRM Enterprise edition, but I don't see a way to do that with Professional edition, unless I missed something. 

Any other suggestions?
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:30 PM
  • If a large organization, does your organization have access to MSDN and development licenses there?

Monday, March 8, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Yes, we do. 
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Check into that, you may actually have a license available there that you could use for development. You could then install on new hardware or virtualize another enviornment as well. If you did this you could make use of other MSDN licenses such as SQL Server, Windows Server. Etc. Once again this would require hardware.

I work in a highly secure enviornment as a contractor. I have a laptop running Windows Server 2008, with CRM installed + SQL Server 2008 and even a mail server. hmailserver. This works as my personal traveling development enviornment along side production and a virtualized enviornment at work.

• Proposed as answer by sixty4 Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I have setup the same with Professional.  You just need a server to install CRM for your test environment.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:59 PM
  • That sounds like what we might want to do.  How do you get around the issues I discussed about importing entitites?

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the licensing scheme as listed in the CRM 4 implementation guide, one cannot use multiple organizations with the professional edition.  Am I missing something?  Here's the quote in question. 

"Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional. This edition has no user limit and is limited to a single organization. However, Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional can be installed on more than one computer in the same deployment."

Also, how do you get around the importation issues with this setup?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Right, you can have only one Org with Professional so you will disable the Org that gets created when you install CRM on the test server before importing the backup Org that you restored from your production environment.  Disregard the reference to the Enterprise license in the article and this should work as expected. I've done it several times.

Have a look at this post for more information.  You'll basically take the same action after you install SQL, CRM and SQL Reporting services in your test environment.  You'll take a backup of your production database, restore it to your test environment (give it a different name than production when you restore it) and then import the Product Org as a Test Org.

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/09/best-practices.html

Once you've completed the import, you can drop the other database (that database initially installed with CRM) from your test environment.

I think you should be able to sort out the process with the two links provided. 
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:50 PM