Textbook for teaching operating systems desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a textbook that will cover both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Any suggestions?

Tina Jansen

Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi, Tina.

In my opinion, I don't think you are going to find any books that explicitly cover both operating systems. Instead, I think you have two different choices.

1. Give the students two books. One book on Windows 7 and the other on Windows 8. You could choose to give them something affordable while also effective as well. For example, you could give the students Windows 7 for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-7-Dummies-Andy-Rathbone/dp/0470497432) and teach the fundamentals of the Windows 7 OS. Then you could give them Windows 8.1 for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-1-Dummies-Andy-Rathbone/dp/1118821211) and cover only what has changed rather than the entire book. Perhaps the "Dummies" series is not what you had in mind (that's fine!) but you could choose from any of the other OS books on Amazon.com or even items on the courseware marketplace. However, introducing Windows is an entry level class and you'll want the books to remain useful to your students in the future.

2. The other choice is to only give them a Windows 8.1 book that was written by an author who previously wrote a Windows 7 book. Often times when authors rewrite a book, they end up just chopping up and adding material to their existing content. As well, their newer books will still contain the older content. You'll see content like, "In Windows 7, we did this... But in Windows 8.1, we now do this." I recently taught a course on Microsoft's web server (IIS 7) but I gave my students the newer IIS 8 book because it had a lot of history and references to the previous versions. I also wanted to be sure their copies of the book would remain useful to them.

I suspect the biggest reason that courseware does not exist for both OSs is because they are so different. Windows 8 adds a whole new user interface (UI) for the Start view and the navigation is much different (rather painful for Windows 7 veterans).

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:09 PM
    Answerer