Vail warning that Windows Defender not running on client when MSE installed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting warnings from my Vail server that the Windows Defender service is not running on a client that has Microsoft Security Essentials installed.  It's my understanding that MSE turns off Windows Defender, and I shouldn't try to turn it back on while MSE is running.

Any way to get everyone on the same page with regard to security status on the client?  Thanks.

Friday, August 6, 2010 2:57 PM

All replies

• I'm getting warnings from my Vail server that the Windows Defender service is not running on a client that has Microsoft Security Essentials installed.  It's my understanding that MSE turns off Windows Defender, and I shouldn't try to turn it back on while MSE is running.

Any way to get everyone on the same page with regard to security status on the client?  Thanks.

What OS are you using on the client?  Did you try uninstalling MSE, rebooting the client, then installing MSE again?  Are you using the current version of MSE or the newly-released beta of the next version (called Windows Security Essentials)?
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  This client is Vista Ultimate 64 bit, the version of MSE is 1.0.1963.0 (both before and after uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling), I don't see the Windows Sec. Ess. designation on it anywhere, I think I've got the regular release version.

Still getting the warning from the Vail server.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:14 PM
  • "...the newly-released beta of the next version (called Windows Security Essentials)?"

The latest beta of MSE is called Microsoft Security Essentials... same as the previous
    versions. There is no such thing as "Windows Security Essentials".

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "kariya21 [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:90fa033b-04cb-4fc3-9611-c29a441d4b49@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm getting warnings from my Vail server that the Windows Defender service is not running
    on a client that has Microsoft Security Essentials installed.  It's my understanding that
    MSE turns off Windows Defender, and I shouldn't try to turn it back on while MSE is
    running.

Any way to get everyone on the same page with regard to security status on the client?
    Thanks.

What OS are you using on the client?  Did you try uninstalling MSE, rebooting the client,
    then installing MSE again?  Are you using the current version of MSE or the newly-released
    beta of the next version (called Windows Security Essentials)?

Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:15 PM
  • If and when MSE is supported for WHS (including Vail), then I suppose such warning about
    Windows Defender will not occur. For the time being MSE is not supported in WHS. The
    Connect page for the public beta of MSE v2 states:

"Notice to Windows Home Server Users: Microsoft Security Essentials Beta is not supported
    on Windows Home Server (WHS). Beta testers who have installed Microsoft Security
    Essentials on WHS should uninstall Security Essentials to avoid potential incompatibility
    problems. Those who plan to beta test Microsoft Security Essentials unsupported should
    wait until the next Windows Home Server update rollup.".

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "Earle Roberts" wrote in message
    news:12e90e45-473b-4f58-b44d-d81123819a2d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks for the response.  This client is Vista Ultimate 64 bit, the version of MSE is
    1.0.1963.0 (both before and after uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling), I don't see
    the Windows Sec. Ess. designation on it anywhere, I think I've got the regular release
    version.

Still getting the warning from the Vail server.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:22 PM
  • The latest beta of MSE is called Microsoft Security Essentials... same as the previous
    versions. There is no such thing as "Windows Security Essentials". 
    Keith Yeung (the WHS program manager at MS) thinks otherwise.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:53 PM
  • It's MSE running on the client, not on WHS, that's the issue.  WHS, in version 1 as well as Vail, warns about security status on the client, and MSE is supported for this I'm pretty sure.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 1:18 PM
  • I had the same Problem with reports that windows defender was turned off on all systems that had vista and release version of MSE installed.  After a few mins of head scratching, I ran msconfig on vista / mse clients and unticked windows defender in "services" and "startup".  All seems ok now. Hopefully you wont all tell me i'm wrong to do this. :).   But if i am it will be good to get input from others.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:14 PM