Resolve file conflicts? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently added another drive to my server storage poo and then turned on file duplication for a few folders that I had it off on. Everything worked out swimmingly for every folder except the Music folder.

In the shared folder it says Failing (Check Health). Also now my Network is "at risk" and the errors it gives are:

1 - cannot create a file that already exists (for one of my mp3s)

5 - Data errors (CRC) for 2 mp3's on one album and 3 on another.

I've remoted in to the admin console and checked the event log, it shows a number errors with with the source of disk and event ID of 7. When I open the even the descriptions says:

The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block.

I tried to run the chkdsk /r and had to restart in order for it to run. I'm assuming it ran when I restarted it - although the errors still show up in the WHS Console.

What are my options or are there any suggestions to repair this?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:22 PM

Answers

• It probably means the tombstones are pointing to non-existent files now.
    You could try the WHScleanup utility, which should be able to delete those tombstones.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, July 30, 2010 2:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by baker2gs Friday, July 30, 2010 3:31 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• It probably means the tombstones are pointing to non-existent files now.
    You could try the WHScleanup utility, which should be able to delete those tombstones.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, July 30, 2010 2:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by baker2gs Friday, July 30, 2010 3:31 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:28 PM
  • I responded at first asking if you could point me to where I could download it? Then I deleted it because I thought I found it but it was the Backup Cleanup in the settings.

I guess I'll go back to my original response, do you know where I can download the WHS Cleanup Utility?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I responded at first asking if you could point me to where I could download it? Then I deleted it because I thought I found it but it was the Backup Cleanup in the settings.

I guess I'll go back to my original response, do you know where I can download the WHS Cleanup Utility?

Here is the link.

Note that using the tool is unsupported.  Also, did you check this FAQ post for other suggestions?

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Yes I did check that FAQ, as I said I ran the chkdsk and it didn't resolve the issue. I used the WHS Cleanup Tool and it ended up deleting 2 of the problematic mp3s and fixed the other 3. So I guess it worked.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:44 PM