none
How do I "Unsubscribe" form a thread? RRS feed

• Question

• In "My Threads", there is a thread that I'm not interested in (don't know how it got there in the first place!).

How do get this thread out of the "My Threads" list (i.e. unsubscribe to a thread)?
    Bruce Sanderson
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:33 PM

Answers

• My threads doesn't only show the threads you're being alerted about.  It shows all the threads you've taken part in, so removing the alert won't remove it from the list. 

That being said, the My Threads windows updates slower than the rest of the system right now anyways.  Not sure why, but I found that out a while back.  

So to make a long story short, you can't take it out of the list of My Threads, but you should be able to stop the alerts.  

Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiTwitterLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Open a thread.  At the top of the first post, below the title, there's a "Remove Alert" button.  Click it.

All the items listed in your My Threads are threads you've responded to at some point.  You can change the default for alerts by clicking on the "My Settings" link at the right and unchecking "Always Alert Me By Default When I post".  
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. This feature is by design. "My Threads" and "My Alerts" are different features. "My Threads" are somewhat an archive of threads that you've created and participated. "My Alerts"  is the page where you manage thread subscriptions. My Threads is not time boxed, meaning it will show all the threads that you've contributed (or contributed to). This is very useful where other community members track the history of contributions from other community members. This also promotes a communuty members reputation (or see if the user is abusive user). I myself find it very useful to track issues and bugs that I respond to :).
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:22 AM

All replies

• Open a thread.  At the top of the first post, below the title, there's a "Remove Alert" button.  Click it.

All the items listed in your My Threads are threads you've responded to at some point.  You can change the default for alerts by clicking on the "My Settings" link at the right and unchecking "Always Alert Me By Default When I post".  
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, David!

Hmm. I click on the thread (I did respond to this thread way back in March, 2007 (yes 2007!), it says "Alert Me", not "Remove Alert".  Anyway, I click on Alert Me, which changes to "Remove Alert", so I click on that.  The thread is still in the list of My Threads.

I checked in "My Settings" and there is no check mark in "Always Alert Me By Default When I post".   

The offending Thread's title is "Virtual Server on WHS" - I think this is in the "Windows Home Server Software" forum.

So, any other ideas about how to get rid of this nuisance thread?

By the way, when I click on "My Alerts" (under My Forum Links), the offending thread does not appear there.
    Bruce Sanderson
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:03 PM
  • My threads doesn't only show the threads you're being alerted about.  It shows all the threads you've taken part in, so removing the alert won't remove it from the list. 

That being said, the My Threads windows updates slower than the rest of the system right now anyways.  Not sure why, but I found that out a while back.  

So to make a long story short, you can't take it out of the list of My Threads, but you should be able to stop the alerts.  

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Thanks again, David!

I wasn't getting an Alert, I just wanted to get rid of the useless entry!

Thanks for clarifying that this is not possible - grr!

If you have any influence with the Forum support, please ask them to provide a way to remove no longer useful threads from My Threads!

Bruce Sanderson
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Bruce, 

I wish I had more.  Unfortunately, I doubt you'll ever see this taken out.  You might not view it as a useful thread anymore, but some other people might view it as such.  I use this feature often to determine what a user's history has been with posting.  The moderators use it to determine if someone's posts have been habitually abusive, or if the poster is a student asking verbatim questions that they should find out for themselves, so I don't think you're going to see this one changed.  

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. This feature is by design. "My Threads" and "My Alerts" are different features. "My Threads" are somewhat an archive of threads that you've created and participated. "My Alerts"  is the page where you manage thread subscriptions. My Threads is not time boxed, meaning it will show all the threads that you've contributed (or contributed to). This is very useful where other community members track the history of contributions from other community members. This also promotes a communuty members reputation (or see if the user is abusive user). I myself find it very useful to track issues and bugs that I respond to :).
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:22 AM