Sys Drive is failing... RRS feed

• Question

• and I need to reinstall on a new HDD.  Is there a step-by-step process for this?  I don't want to lose my shares.  Can someone explain the process or point me to the post that does please?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:20 PM

Answers

• Microsoft hasn't documented a procedure, no. That's left up to the OEMs (HP, Acer, etc) and system builders (you! :) ).

Basically, you remove the failed system drive, and put a new one in. Leave all your storage hard drives connected. Then you boot your server from your Windows Home Server installation media. Near the end of the first stage, you'll come to a hardware detection screen. Make sure all your drives are visible. If any drives aren't, you'll need to provide appropriate storage drivers. If your system drive is among those that aren't visible, you will need the drivers for that controller on floppy.

Once all your drives are visible you can proceed past the hardware detection screens. You'll be asked what kind of installation you want to do; you should have the option of a new installation, or a server recovery/reinstallation (depending on the age of your installation media). Choose the recovery option and proceed. Your server will reboot.

If you needed drivers for the system drive, watch carefully. You will see a prompt to "Press F6" to supply drivers; tap F6 a few times and you should be given the option of supplying your drivers. Drivers supplied in this phase (text mode setup for Windows Server 2003) will have to be on a floppy drive, not a USB flash drive. Once you've supplied your drivers if needed, allow installation to proceed.

Leave the DVD in the drive until you reach the Vista-like Welcome screen. Near the end of the process, your server will seem like it "hangs" for a significant period of time; it's rebuilding the D: partition from the secondary drives that are attached, which can take many hours (even days, if you have multiple terabytes of data).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:39 PM

All replies

• Microsoft hasn't documented a procedure, no. That's left up to the OEMs (HP, Acer, etc) and system builders (you! :) ).

Basically, you remove the failed system drive, and put a new one in. Leave all your storage hard drives connected. Then you boot your server from your Windows Home Server installation media. Near the end of the first stage, you'll come to a hardware detection screen. Make sure all your drives are visible. If any drives aren't, you'll need to provide appropriate storage drivers. If your system drive is among those that aren't visible, you will need the drivers for that controller on floppy.

Once all your drives are visible you can proceed past the hardware detection screens. You'll be asked what kind of installation you want to do; you should have the option of a new installation, or a server recovery/reinstallation (depending on the age of your installation media). Choose the recovery option and proceed. Your server will reboot.

If you needed drivers for the system drive, watch carefully. You will see a prompt to "Press F6" to supply drivers; tap F6 a few times and you should be given the option of supplying your drivers. Drivers supplied in this phase (text mode setup for Windows Server 2003) will have to be on a floppy drive, not a USB flash drive. Once you've supplied your drivers if needed, allow installation to proceed.

Leave the DVD in the drive until you reach the Vista-like Welcome screen. Near the end of the process, your server will seem like it "hangs" for a significant period of time; it's rebuilding the D: partition from the secondary drives that are attached, which can take many hours (even days, if you have multiple terabytes of data).

• Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:39 PM
  • thank you kindly, i'm gonna start now.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:54 PM
  • If aren't given the recovery option, don't proceed. Instead try installing the new system drive in another computer and partitioning it, then put it back and start over. If you don't get the recovery option then, check cabling, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the right drive, etc. If you still don't get the recovery option, it probably means there's something about your hardware that's not fully compatible with Windows Home Server (or rather, with WinPE 2.0, which is the environment for the first part of setup) so you will probably be forced to recover your data manually and then do a new installation.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:09 PM
  • I didn't have a big enough drive yesterday to install so now I do and the new sys drive shows up but my two data drives aren't there at the end of the hardware detection.  one data drive is on a SATA PCI controller and the other is connected via IDE cable in spot 1 sys is on 0.  If i can find them how do I install the drivers for the PCI controller?  The SATA drive isn't going to show up unless it sees that first right?  Is it possible add these drives later easily and maintain my files if I go ahead with a new install or does this open up pandora's box full of other issues?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:26 PM
  • If you go ahead with a new install, you will not be able to reintegrate your storage pool drives later with data intact. Depending on why the IDE drive isn't shoing up, you could even lose data as Windows Home Server will format any drives it detects during a new installation.

As for supplying drivers, at the hardware detection screen you're given the option to add drivers. Click that button, then supply drivers for your controllers on a USB flash drive or floppy drive. You'll want Windows Server 2003 32 bit drivers, if available. Otherwise try XP 32 bit drivers. Presumably you had to do this when you first installed Windows Home Server?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:41 PM
  • my original configuration had just two drives both IDE and I added the controller and 3rd drive later.  any idea why that 2nd IDE drive isn't showing up?  so is adding the drives later not an option?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Adding a drive later will not bring them to the storage pool, bringing such drive into the storage pool will get it formatted.
    So you will have to take care for the data before, as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, if you cannot get WHS to recognize the drives in both stages of setup.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:23 AM