none
Is it possible to get a Genuine Advantage License re-sent by email? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

Hope you can help. I purchased a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit some time ago after discovering that my Desktop was pre-loaded with an illeagal copy of XP Pro (from a local custom build store - that since got caught!!). This allowed me to become validated as I received the CD, and an email containing the appropriate License Key.

The Desktop PC that this copy of XP was installed on is long since destroyed, but I retained the copy of the Genuine Advantage Kit (CD).

Now I have a need to install Windows XP on to a friend's laptop and effectively Gift him the old copy of OS that I had. I use Windows 7, on a company laptop and have absolutely no need for it anymore.

My issue:  I did not retain the email that I received all those years ago, that contained the purchased and valid License Key.

My Question: Is there a mechanism for re-sending the email, if I validate some of the original purchase details?

I would like to be able to re-use this XP License, as it was fully and legitimately purchased but has not been in use for several years. Also it would not be a duplicate installation, as the original PC is long destroyed.

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks.

Kevin

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:29 PM

Answers

• "Kevin Sneddon" wrote in message news:0fba76f7-559e-49d4-9d19-ae38525829b4...

I would like to be able to re-use this XP License, as it was fully and legitimately purchased but has not been in use for several years. Also it would not be a duplicate installation, as the original PC is long destroyed.

Thanks.

Kevin

The Get Genuine Kit  license is ONLY valid on the machine for which it was bought to solve the non-genuine problem.
    You could use the disk in conjunction with your friend’s Key (assuming they are similar types) but the Key is not transferable.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 4, 2011 11:30 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hello Kevin,

This link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx  will take you to the remnants of a page that used to be able to assist you in retrieving your Windows XP WGA Kit product key.  However, it seems to have devolved to just a little bit of info followed by a Contact Support pathway, so Good Luck with retrieving your product key (gotta write those keys down in a Safe Place!)

This is the current link https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn  for starting a WGA support request--I would suggest starting here and providing as much detail as you can in the subsequent text entry boxes.

(Assuming you are in the USA)  For the majority of the Windows XP WGA Kit's life in the USA, the WGA Kit did not come with the Supplemental End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), which was more common in the Rest of the World, that limited the validity of the WGA Kit license to the computer onto which it was activated thus "genuine-izing" a nongenuine installation of XP.  So for those who purchased the kit when it did not come with the Supplemental EULA, the WGA Kit's licensing terms were just like a full retail license, in that the license could be moved from computer to computer at the license holder's pleasure.

If your purchased kit did not come with the Supplemental EULA, then Yes you would be able to transfer the license to your friend for use on friend's laptop.  Unfortunately, the misplacement of the product key would seem to be the death-knell for your efforts to do so.  Depending upon how fastidious you are regarding keeping and organizing your old email, search for emails from service@microsoft.com

If you are able to get MS support to resend your WGA PK email, we would certainly appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to post back to tell us how it got done :-)

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:03 PM

All replies

• "Kevin Sneddon" wrote in message news:0fba76f7-559e-49d4-9d19-ae38525829b4...

Thanks.

Kevin

The Get Genuine Kit  license is ONLY valid on the machine for which it was bought to solve the non-genuine problem.
    You could use the disk in conjunction with your friend’s Key (assuming they are similar types) but the Key is not transferable.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 4, 2011 11:30 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hello Kevin,

This link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx  will take you to the remnants of a page that used to be able to assist you in retrieving your Windows XP WGA Kit product key.  However, it seems to have devolved to just a little bit of info followed by a Contact Support pathway, so Good Luck with retrieving your product key (gotta write those keys down in a Safe Place!)

This is the current link https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn  for starting a WGA support request--I would suggest starting here and providing as much detail as you can in the subsequent text entry boxes.

(Assuming you are in the USA)  For the majority of the Windows XP WGA Kit's life in the USA, the WGA Kit did not come with the Supplemental End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), which was more common in the Rest of the World, that limited the validity of the WGA Kit license to the computer onto which it was activated thus "genuine-izing" a nongenuine installation of XP.  So for those who purchased the kit when it did not come with the Supplemental EULA, the WGA Kit's licensing terms were just like a full retail license, in that the license could be moved from computer to computer at the license holder's pleasure.

If your purchased kit did not come with the Supplemental EULA, then Yes you would be able to transfer the license to your friend for use on friend's laptop.  Unfortunately, the misplacement of the product key would seem to be the death-knell for your efforts to do so.  Depending upon how fastidious you are regarding keeping and organizing your old email, search for emails from service@microsoft.com

If you are able to get MS support to resend your WGA PK email, we would certainly appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to post back to tell us how it got done :-)

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:03 PM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:ad50f8bc-b6ac-411e-b94c-9761e1b35d93..

now that’s a certainty!

:)

<waves@ Dan>

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Waves back :-h
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:32 PM