Windows 2003 as a WHS Client RRS feed

• Question

• Can I add my Windows 2003 Server as a Client to my WHS Server? I want to use the automated backup so that my 2003 server is backed up. I currently have XP and Vista clients working successfully but the 2003 server always fails during backup.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:13 AM

Answers

• Windows Server (any version) is not a supported client operating system for Windows Home Server, I'm afraid.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• Windows Server (any version) is not a supported client operating system for Windows Home Server, I'm afraid.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Why not just try it?  Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 aren't supported either, but works fine. Restore a backup could be the problem.

I know of course that the more or less official answer to your question must be the one given.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:58 PM
  • I'm surprised Windows 2003 is failing too. Perhaps it is a firewall / security configuration?
    Have you tried debugging with the Toolkit and submitting logs to Microsoft Connect?

My guess is that the WHS team would not support server OSs given the home target audience, but I doubt they would actively block it from working.

(Incidentally, my Server 2008 R2 backs up fine)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:38 PM