How do I close a restore volume? RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe I missed something.  I went into view my backups and clicked open on "Restore or View Files from Volume C: (Local Disk)" and the console mounted a new disk drive Z: with a copy of all of my backup data. 

How do I "Unmount" this volume.  I have looked all over console and I don't see any options.  I got over zelous and clicked on a few days so now I have X:, Y:, and Z: drives. 

Do I have to reboot?  I am running Vista Ultimate x64 but I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Thanks

One more thing, when I installed the client software I had a USB drive plugged in and mounted as an I: drive.  I have since disconnected it, but  when I configure backups the drive I: still shows up but locations says "Unknown".  Is there a way to remove this drive from the Configure backup wizard?

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:41 PM

All replies

• 2 answers that really have nothing to do with Power Pack 1 as this has not changed since initial release of Windows Home Server

(1)  Short answer to first question is "just close the explorer window"  .  Long answer is:  When you open a backup via the Windows Home Server Console from a home PC - a virtual disk driver is installed (only the first time) - this virtual disk driver communicates with the backup service on the home server to restore what that hard drive looked like on that given date / time by reassembling the clusters from the home computer backup database and presenting them in a Read/Only Windows Explorer window that appears as a Z: drive.  You can learn more about the Windows Home Server backup solution in the Home Computer Backup & Restore Technical Brief available on http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

(2)  Go to the WIndows Home SErver Console - highlight the computer and click on the Configure Backups button to reconfigure which hard drives will get backed up for a given home computer.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:04 AM
  • 1) that seems to work fine on my windows XP computer.  I close all the exlporer windows and the drive goes away. 

However on my Vista x64 it doesn't do this.    If I close all of the windows and then open My Computer, the x,y, & z drives are still there.  In fact on my Windows XP computer the window has an extra title bar.  Again my Vista x64 looks different.  I think the PP1 x64 driver must work a little different. 

2) didn't work, the I drive still shows up in the configure screen.  I haven't tested this on an XP computer yet.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:48 AM
  • (1)  Please open a backup on your Vista x64 machine and then collect the logs and submit a bug so the team can analyse the state of this PC.  Please inlcude some screenshots and a good written set of  repro steps

(2)  Reboot the PC, then try to run Configure Backup from the Windows Home Server Console for this PC.  Does th I: drive still show up?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:45 AM
  •  

Nothing to do with PP1?

Same here (Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1) with WHS original OEM-realease. Virtual backup drives are only dismounted after logoff/reboot. If I open a second (or third...) backup additional Virtual drives (Z,Y,X...) are mounted.

Did not see this as a problem. Will check details/MS-Connect and file a bug report anayway.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Please file a bug with detailed repro steps with logs from the PC and your home server.  @Theo - Thanks for createing a repro for someone else's issue!!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:48 PM
  • lastnight I filed it as a bug on connect #351889.   Thanks Theo for the repro.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:44 PM