Device Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking about converting my Dell Dimension 3000 into a WHS.  I originally purchased it in Jan. '05.  It has a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8Ghz, 2 GB of
    ram and 2 200 GB harddrives.  The network card is an Intel Pro/100 VE.  I already ordered WHS software from Amazon and should be receiving it within a week.  I was reading in the "WHS getting started" guide about lack of support for device drivers(network & disk subsystems) when using an older PC.
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether I should be ok or have a problem.  Thanks for any advice.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am thinking about converting my Dell Dimension 3000 into a WHS.  I originally purchased it in Jan. '05.  It has a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8Ghz, 2 GB of
    ram and 2 200 GB harddrives.  The network card is an Intel Pro/100 VE.  I already ordered WHS software from Amazon and should be receiving it within a week.  I was reading in the "WHS getting started" guide about lack of support for device drivers(network & disk subsystems) when using an older PC.
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether I should be ok or have a problem.  Thanks for any advice.
    WHS doesn't have SATA drivers as part of the image (which means you either need to supply your own drivers or change the BIOS for any SATA ports you might have to IDE/Legacy mode).  Other than that, you have a good chance of installing it, but there are no guarantees.  The best way to find out (if you want to know now) is to download the trial and try installing that.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Kariya21 thanks for replying to my question.  I don't think I'll have a problem with SATA drivers as my system is a few years old and
    has the old PATA type interface.  I was worrying about the network card not being recognized though.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Blueracer Friday, April 24, 2009 3:06 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:09 AM