Payee Rules Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Money does have the Payee Rules Manager that can help to improve processing. We can discuss that later, but it lets you ignore words like PAYMENTS that you can define.

Can you go into the Payee Rules Manager in more detail, or direct me to a thread that expounds on it. This is one area of Money that I don't understand very well.
    Regards
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:34 AM

All replies

• Paths shown below are for Money Plus.  Versions, such as Money
    2005, have similar functions, but the paths differ somewhat.

Go to
    Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames
    which shows how downloaded names are translated into Payees.
    Record the Payee Name Variation(s) shown for the wrong payee.  In
    particular, look for generic words or phrases that don't apply to a
    a particular payee.  Delete the entries that correspond to the
    wrong payee.

Then click on GoToPayeeRulesManager.  Excluded Payee Names
    identifies words and phrases that should be ignored from the payee
    field (e.g., check, deposit).  Add each word or phrase that was
    listed as a Payee Name Variation that you recorded.

To reduce the number of existing payees, click Payees in the left
    column.  Select a payee and use Move to combine payees.  This is
    better in most cases than Delete.

While you are at it, it is usually a good idea to select
    Tools->Settings->OnlineServiceSettings->ReplacePayeeNames....

You may want to set
    Tools->Settings->OnlineServices->AddADescriptionToTheMemoField

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:49 PM
  • In Money 2004, I was looking at the Payees Rules Manager, and I saw under Preferred Payee Matches / Payee name variation with the option to edit, delete, or add to this column.

Why the need for this? Doesn't Money handle this chore automatically?

If I edited an abbreviated payee name in the right column (change Moss Drug S to Moss Drugs), would the correction show up when downloading a new transaction from the bank?

Regards
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:43 AM
  • In Money 2004, I was looking at the Payees Rules Manager, and I saw under Preferred Payee Matches / Payee name variation with the option to edit, delete, or add to this column.

Why the need for this? Doesn't Money handle this chore automatically?

If I edited an abbreviated payee name in the right column (change Moss Drug S to Moss Drugs), would the correction show up when downloading a new transaction from the bank?

Regards

In Money 2004, the  PreferredPayeeNames click sequence is Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames. To do that change in PreferredPayeeNames, you would change what payee the string on the left was changed into. You will notice that there may be various different strings that will be converted to a given payee. That was done based on what you did in the past. Normally you won't have to visit that page if Money is not suggesting the wrong payee.

If you want all of your current and future Payee Moss Drug S to be changed into Moss Drugs, you would want to rename that payee, in Money 2004, go to Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Payees. Right click Moss Drug S  and choose Rename. Now if you had both ways already defined, you would right click Moss Drug S and choose Move to Moss Drugs. That would combine the payees to just Moss Drugs.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:07 AM