Repalement for One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a subscription for One Care that expires at the beginning of March. I have read that Microsoft is planning to replace One Care with a free version in 2009. If I continue my subscription in 2009 what will happen when One Care is replaced by the free service?

Thank you

Friday, January 2, 2009 5:03 PM

Answers

• Have a look at the announcement post here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6

Basically, if you choose to renew in March, your paid subscription will be fully supported through expiration in March of 2010. At that time, or sooner, you will be offered the opportunity to switch to the Morro solution. Since we don't have any other details about that transition, we don't know if that means that other features that OneCare has, but Morro will not have, will be addressed in the transition plans and offer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:23 PM

All replies

• Have a look at the announcement post here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6

Basically, if you choose to renew in March, your paid subscription will be fully supported through expiration in March of 2010. At that time, or sooner, you will be offered the opportunity to switch to the Morro solution. Since we don't have any other details about that transition, we don't know if that means that other features that OneCare has, but Morro will not have, will be addressed in the transition plans and offer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Thank you Steve!
    Friday, January 2, 2009 10:09 PM
  • My subscription expires in April.  Why should I pay for another full year of supported OneCare when they will begin offering a free service in June?  Are they going to refund a prorated amount of my OneCare subscription when I switch to the free product?  Or am I going to be paying for a full year of OneCare support when I only need two months?

It doesn't help me for them to offer support for my OneCare subscription for the entire year when I'm going to want to switch to the free version of Morro when that becomes available.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:00 PM
  • You will be able to continue to use OneCare, fully supported, through the end of your subscription period or the end of 2010, whichever comes first. There has been no further announcement on transition plans or what would happen if you switch to Morro before your subscription expires.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Has Microsoft announced any expected dates for the transition plans?  June isn't that far off!  Anyone have any suggestions for replacement of OneCare services.  I liked the ease of Backup and printer sharing it provided.

Also, I was surprised and disappointed to hear OneCare isn't doing a very good job of detecting viruses and spyware, I thought it was state of the art.  Why would I trust Microsoft with the replacement product?  Seems to me, as its free, Micorsoft will abandon it even faster than they failed to deliver on the service they promised with OneCare.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:06 PM
  • OneCare actually does a very good job of protecting the PC. No security product is perfect, however, and that includes OneCare. By dropping the other features, I would assume that the increased focus on the antimalware detection and removal will make it even better.
    As for when the transition will take place, nothing new has been announced - 2nd half of 2009 is all we know. Note that a subscription will be fully supported through the end or the end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    -steve
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Steve, thank you for your help.  Gotta say though, again, you've not really answered the question: What are you and other folks on this forum recommending to replace the services now provided by OneCare:
    1) Virus,
    2) Spyware,
    3) Back Up,
    4) Tune Up,
    5) Printer sharing.

1) & 2) was not the reason I bought OneCare in the first place.  They're pretty basic items that I had and could get in so many other ways.  Frankly what I liked about OneCare is the package of products.

Please no one recommend Norton.  It may provide the services but I will not accept the impact it has on my computer's performance.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:36 AM
  • I'm not in a position to make recommendations. There are many choices out there.

Virus and Spyware protection will be part of Morro, which will be the free replacement for OneCare's protection. It builds on Defender's spyware protection, adding protection against other forms of malware.

Backup is built into Windows. The backup in Windows is limited, but then so is the backup in OneCare. Personally, I don't use OneCare backup and have only used it for testing purposes. For multiple PCs in a household, I believe that the best solution is to purchase Windows Home Server. The HP MediaSmart units are quite good, though this is an expensive solution. Many external drives come with backup software that works well. If you desire full image based backup, then Acronis True Image is a good solution.

Tune-up is nothing more than a scheduled run of utilities already in Windows - Defrag, Cleanup, Windows Update, plus a full scan for Viruses and Spyware. I assume that Morro will have the option to perform a full scan on a schedule. Vista does background Defrag, so that's not needed. In fact, on today's PCs, the benefit of a Defrag is pretty limited, in my opinion, However, running it manually every few months is an option. Disk cleanup can also be run manually as desired.

Printer Sharing is built into Windows. The setup can be a bit tricky for some to manage, which is what made that feature of OneCare so nice. Personally, I've not had a need for this feature and the same goes for WiFi Security. Both of these things can be configured manually, but it means reading the documentation for the router, in the case of WiFi security, and reading the printer documentation or doing a search for Printer Sharing on the Internet when you have troubles getting it to work.

The 2 way firewall in OneCare is a nice feature, though most people are well protected by the standard firewall of Windows. The reason that the easy to configure 2 way Firewall in OneCare is better is that any malware that managed to make it past the virus/spyware protection of OneCare that then wanted to get network access would be blocked by the firewall. With the standard Windows firewall, all outbound traffic is allowed, but you are fully protected from inbound threats. Configuring any 2 way firewall can be daunting. The reality is that most people will allow everything that they are prompted for since they don't know what the prompts mean. OneCare took much of that guess work away, but it still happened. And, there are many cases of legitimate software being blocked by the firewall, causing issues for people.

No, I would not recommend Norton's products, though some have reported that the latest version of Norton 360 works well and is less resource intensive than other Norton/Symantec offerings.

-steve

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Thanks.  That was very helpful.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:30 PM