Course 20480A: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 programming language? RRS feed

• Question

• Course 20480A:

Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3

Is Microsoft really using HTML5 as the programming language for the new ASP 4.5 certificate?

I mean I'm sure alot of us don't consider HTML5 and JAVASCRIPT real programming languages.

Does this mean that C# 5 is not admissable to the ASP 4.5  WEB certification?

Is C# 5 only being used for the appstore certification?

Wow, if this is true this is a real oversight by the certification team.

Please elucidate

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First off, HTML5/JavaScript/CSS is an important technology set for Microsoft. It can be used to create Windows Store apps, web pages, Office and SharePoint apps, etc.

With regards to the MCSD Web applications track, there are three exams. The 70-480 exam is all about using HTML5/JavaScript/CSS. As a web developer you may not be writing HTML with Notepad but it certainly helps to understand it so that you can modify your applications as needed.

In additon to to the 70-480 exam, you need to pass the 70-486 and 70-487 exams. This is where the C# comes in. This exam covers developing ASP.NET MVC applications. The 70-487 exam covers creating and consuming services, working with data, etc.

I have passed the 70-480 and 70-486 exams already. They are challenging but fair exams.

FYI, Microsoft is offering a free course and exam voucher for the 70-480 exam. Check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/html5-offer.aspx

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by RickZler Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 70-480 exam is a required exam for the MCSD: Windows Store Apps and MCSD: Web Applications certifications. The other exams in the web application track use C#. For the Windows Store App certifications, there are two paths. One focuses on HTML/JavaScript and the other focuses on C#.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by axel79 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi Mike:

Thanks for the reply. The  track I was referring to can be found in the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx

You stated that C# is used as a language in the Web applications certification above. Can you specify a link or documentation from Microsoft that corroborates this information. To me it looks like the web certification is using

HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 as the development language. I understand that framework for .net 4.5 is capable of doing more internally but how would one deal with Lamba expressions, delegation and Asych. w/o a dynamic prog. language. Sorry if  I'm missing something. Alot of us were told that C# would be the future in relating to the .net framework dealing with web and entity services. I was wondering why the change of rational?

Thanks

RickZler

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

First off, HTML5/JavaScript/CSS is an important technology set for Microsoft. It can be used to create Windows Store apps, web pages, Office and SharePoint apps, etc.

With regards to the MCSD Web applications track, there are three exams. The 70-480 exam is all about using HTML5/JavaScript/CSS. As a web developer you may not be writing HTML with Notepad but it certainly helps to understand it so that you can modify your applications as needed.

In additon to to the 70-480 exam, you need to pass the 70-486 and 70-487 exams. This is where the C# comes in. This exam covers developing ASP.NET MVC applications. The 70-487 exam covers creating and consuming services, working with data, etc.

I have passed the 70-480 and 70-486 exams already. They are challenging but fair exams.

FYI, Microsoft is offering a free course and exam voucher for the 70-480 exam. Check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/html5-offer.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by RickZler Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Thanks Mike:

I understand the importance of the content of the 70-480 exam for developing web and mobile apps in the store. I was just wondering how much of the daily development you do is actually in MVC and how much in ASP.NET web forms? This is really an important certification question about current and future trends in the industry.  Also In your opinion will ASP.NET MVC 4 or ASP.NET MVVM be used more often moving forward. I know the MVVM is used more with Silverlight and WPF development and MVC is used more with seperation of concerns with standard 3 tier system but how is the industry trending in your opinion? And thanks for all the help it's been very effort and time saving and I really appreciate it.

Thanks

RickZler

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure about where the industry is trending. As an instructor/consultant, I do my best to keep up with the newest technologies. Many of my students are still building Windows forms applications and "classic" ASP.NET web forms applications.

I can tell you that the web certification for the VS 2010 product was primarily MVC but did include some web forms. The VS 2012 track is all MVC.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:17 PM