WHS backup/restore of dynamic striped volume RRS feed

• Question

• My question is twofold: Does WHS handle backup/restore of a dynamic striped volume, and if so, how would I go about converting a basic disk to a striped disk and make sure I get all the data moved from the old to the new disk?

My current Win7Pro PC has 3 physical disks, each is a basic disk with one partition:

C: SSD, boot, backup up by WHS (80gb)

D: Applications, backup up by WHS  (300gb)

F:  Tmp/Scratch space, not backup up (1tb)

What I'd like to do is replace my 300gb drive with a 1tb drive and convert D: to a striped volume, and F: to a mirrored volume using the 2 1tb disks.  D: I would continue to backup/restore to WHS, and F: would not be backed up.

If I restore the existing D: backup to a newly created striped volume, I'm assuming that would break the volume?  What's the best way to do this?  Can I do a file level copy off the old D: and back on to the new striped D: and how would I ensure I don't miss any system/hidden files when doing so?

Once I do get the striped volume created can I easily back it up and restore from WHS in the event of a disk failure?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Don't use OS level RAID (dynamic disks/stripe set/Windows RAID 0). Use hardware or firmware RAID. You'll get better performance, and have fewer problems in the event of needing to restore.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  Unfortunately my mobo doesn't support Raid, nor do I have a free PCI-E slot to add a controller or I would go that route.  I was hoping to use a dynamic disk striped set as a cheap way to boost performance, but only if it doesn't impact my ability to backup/restore with WHS.    Is this possible?  What sort of problems would I have during the restore?
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:50 PM
  • If you lose a drive in the stripe set, you will need to replace it and rebuild the array prior to restoring, for sure. There's no way to do that in the restore environment And I can't guarantee that it will be recognized by the restore environment anyway, even if it's just a case of OS corruption. I haven't tried; I just don't ever use RAID 0 for anything.

If it's not recognized (for whatever reason) you'll need a single disk to restore to, as large as or larger than the entire stripe set.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:16 PM
  • I went ahead and tried this.  I downloaded the latest windows home server restore CD from the web and used it.  The restore process does allow you to created any dynamic array type you want (striped, raid-5, mirrored, etc.) However, restoring my basic disk backup to the striped disk caused a BSOD on two consecutive attempts so I went back to a basic disk setup for now.  I can't help but think a backup/restore of a striped set will work fine, but unfortunately it appears you can't backup a simple volume and restore to dynamic.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 4:34 PM