Passwords----Please Explain.... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to set up 7 PCs on a new WHS network.....All Vista Home Prem 32 Bit except one Ultimate 32 Bit

None of them have passwords to log in as each individual has there own machine and.....

we just don't use passwords......

I see numerous references in the forum to the need of having "synched passwords"...

What does that mean???

When I install the client on each machine-----does it now have to have a password???

And do all Passwords have to be the same to be "synched"?

And what about the Administrator who controls the server???

Any explanations will be most helpful....

Would like to get this right the first time.....

John

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:20 AM

Answers

• John

Let me see if i can help explain.

To get the full benefit of WHS, you will create accounts on the WHS using the WHS Console. When you create an account a user also gets their own folder plus you can assign rights to other folders. Each account on the WHS must have a password, and if you plan on using remote access to your WHS then you need a "strong" password.

You dont have to have a password on your client - although its a good idea. If you did have a password, the idea of having the client password and WHS user account password "synched" is so that a user doesnt have to type in the WHS password everytime they try and access a shared folder or resource.

If the client doesnt have a password then they will just have to type the WHS user account password in when they access a shared resource.

If you had 5 users, they would have 5 accounts, and they could (and should) all be different passwords.

The administrator account has a password and you set this up when you configure WHS for the first time.

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:52 AM
  • You could also do the right thing (create accounts with strong passwords, thereby allowing everyone remote access to their stuff), set the passwords on each of the clients, and then set each client machine to auto-logon:
    start > run > control userpasswords2
    Uncheck "users must enter a username & password to use this computer", and enter the credentials to be used for logon (e.g. normal username, and the password that you set.)  Account will be passworded, but transparently.

"Passwords synched" does, by definition, mean that they're the same.  Smile

*Edit for clarity:  the term refers to the username on the client PC, and its matching username (account) on the WHS; not to all user accounts in the house.  As Andrew said, each user's password can (and should) be different from the next guy's.

As for Administrator, that password should be unique, and known to only, well, the administrator (read:  you.)  Don't need random people mucking about in the Console now, right?

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:20 PM

All replies

• John

To get the full benefit of WHS, you will create accounts on the WHS using the WHS Console. When you create an account a user also gets their own folder plus you can assign rights to other folders. Each account on the WHS must have a password, and if you plan on using remote access to your WHS then you need a "strong" password.

You dont have to have a password on your client - although its a good idea. If you did have a password, the idea of having the client password and WHS user account password "synched" is so that a user doesnt have to type in the WHS password everytime they try and access a shared folder or resource.

If the client doesnt have a password then they will just have to type the WHS user account password in when they access a shared resource.

If you had 5 users, they would have 5 accounts, and they could (and should) all be different passwords.

The administrator account has a password and you set this up when you configure WHS for the first time.

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:52 AM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

John

To get the full benefit of WHS, you will create accounts on the WHS using the WHS Console. When you create an account a user also gets their own folder plus you can assign rights to other folders. Each account on the WHS must have a password,

Actually, you don't have to have a password (just change the Password settings on WHS to "weak" and you can continue to not use a password on your LAN to connect to WHS).

Andrew Edney wrote:
    and if you plan on using remote access to your WHS then you need a "strong" password.

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Sunday, December 23, 2007 11:09 AM
  • And ( I _think_ - haven't tried it!) it can be set up with just guest access to the server, and everyone on the LAN will have access to the server with no password required...

This would only work for the LAN, remote access would require a proper user set-up, with strong passwords.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:07 PM
  • You could also do the right thing (create accounts with strong passwords, thereby allowing everyone remote access to their stuff), set the passwords on each of the clients, and then set each client machine to auto-logon:
    start > run > control userpasswords2
    Uncheck "users must enter a username & password to use this computer", and enter the credentials to be used for logon (e.g. normal username, and the password that you set.)  Account will be passworded, but transparently.

"Passwords synched" does, by definition, mean that they're the same.  Smile

*Edit for clarity:  the term refers to the username on the client PC, and its matching username (account) on the WHS; not to all user accounts in the house.  As Andrew said, each user's password can (and should) be different from the next guy's.

As for Administrator, that password should be unique, and known to only, well, the administrator (read:  you.)  Don't need random people mucking about in the Console now, right?

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Thank you all....

think I've got it....

Except----If all the machines except one are Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Why would I need to set up a strong password for them----as they can't be accessed remotely anyway??

But I love the idea of of the autologon----good tip.

So I will set up each client with a unique UserName and strong password----have that match exatly what their WHS account is...

And set it to auto logon....

The network admninistratorstuff I will not share with my sons or my wife....

You are right----I don't want them mucking about!!!

Monday, December 24, 2007 12:06 AM
  • Why would I need to set up a strong password for them----as they can't be accessed remotely anyway??
    Because it's required for web access to the WHS shares.  The system won't let you enable that feature for a user who has a weak (or no) password on their WHS account.
    And, since it's highly recommended (mostly for your sanity's sake) that the accounts match (both username & password) on both the WHS & the client PCs...

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:46 AM
  • Changing my normal password to a strong one and syncing it was a bit annoying, but the benefits of remote sharing and remote access far outweigh those issues.

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:01 AM