Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please give me a MOBO, CPU and RAM configuration that actually works with WHS as my setup does not seem to like the MOBO and RAM at all.

Thanks all
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• General recommendation: find a mid-line motherboard with Windows Server 2003 drivers. Buy good RAM from a reputable manufacturer (I tend to buy Kingston RAM, but there are other good suppliers). Specific recommendations are difficult, as (for example) the motherboard I use in my dev server hasn't been available for a year, and it was new on the market when I bought it a couple of years ago.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:58 PM
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4450B 2.3GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
    RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/4G

Been working great the last six months.  The CPU maybe hard to find now, but, there are ones around with less cache.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Ok, so the fact that im using an old 754 setup wont be helping?
    It has not been running right since I tried installing the OS on it to be honest.
    Most MOBOs that I have been looking at do not specifically state that they support Server 2003 and I think thats probably the most annoying part - I want the MOBO to work straight out of the box, have as many onboard SATA II connectors as possible, and not cost me an arm and a leg.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:26 AM
  • is there something wrong with your 754 setup? I am using a 478 setup a celeron 478 1.7ghz with 512mb DDR1 RAM and it has no SATA 2 ports, just IDE, I have 1x 500gb IDE Drive with WHS OS on it and then I have 3 PCI SATA Controller cards which have the other 4 SATA HDDs on granted my system is a little slow, it still Runs media perfectly to all my devices.
    HMG
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Where to start - I have always had errors from the off installing this OS - the SATA drivers when loaded with the OS would not always work when trying to be loaded.
    When the OS did work - I tried to access the server from other PCs and it gave the error (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_THAN)
    and sometimes the SCSIPORT error, I have had nothing but issues with this OS and its driving me mad, I bought a load of new parts so I can transfer all the parts for what was a gaming PC into a new case to make room for the server and it just doesnt want to play ball.

I have a LIAN LI PC343b case sat there with my socket 754 setup in thats as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the moment.

I have 8 HDDs hooked up to the PC - one is connected to the MOBO (the OS drive)
    and I have 8 additional HDD connected via PCI ports with SATA controller cards
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:06 AM
  • ok just to start of do you get errors when install any other os on it or just WHS.
    Where did you get you WHS software from?

HMG
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:19 PM
  • I havent tried to put any other OS on it.
    And I bought it from an online etailer called scan.co.uk
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:13 PM
  •  the SATA drivers when loaded with the OS would not always work when trying to be loaded.

For this version of WHS, don't use sata drivers even if you have sata ports.  Use the legency mode "IDE" which can be set-up in the bios. 
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:11 AM
  • I havent tried to put any other OS on it.
    And I bought it from an online etailer called scan.co.uk

In addition to working1's suggestion, did you start with 16 drives connected to your server (or did you add them as you went along)?  If you started with that (or close to that), you might try getting rid of some of the drives (you could be working your PSU too hard and/or overheating your system).
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:25 AM
  • There is no where in my BIOS to set to legacy mode.
    I only installed WHS with one SATA in the PC and then added the others as I went along, the PSU is a Seasonic 600Watt and there is definately not a heat issue as the case I have it in is VERY well cooled.

IF someone can show me where the legacy mode option is then I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:28 AM