none
SyncToy 2.1 - Exception 0x80070052 Folder or File cannot be created RRS feed

• General discussion

• Okay i have not been able to run my SyncToy 2.0 or 2.1 to completion for synchronizing drive C. After copying a few files it throws up the exception HRESULT:0X80070052 Folder or File cannot be created. How do i fix this problem so that i can finish the synchronization? I have run it overnight when the laptop is not in use with the same result. I am using Windows Vista Home Basic 
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:53 PM

All replies

• So i did a normal copy and paste of the desired directories and discovered that some of the folders require explicit administrators authorization in Vista to be created - this i think is where synctoy is throwing the exception. the question therefore is how to give synctoy these rights ie administrative rights so that it can create this folder

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Of course there is always a solution to these problems - in my case i ditched Synctoy 2.1 and Synctoy 2.0 and reinstalled Synctoy 1.4. I discovered that there were three files downloaded from the internet in vista's new overly lengthy habit of recreating the url as subfolders whose length was extending beyond 248 characters. Once i shortened the length of the folders to within the 248 magical number Synctoy 1.4 ran like a charm. I am thinking, Synctoy 2.0 and 2.1 are not just as well built as the original - their exception handling is definitely not as well thought out as Synctoy 1.4. From what i have read on these forums, the basic rule of the thumb is ditch the upgrades; go back to 1.4
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:04 PM

• It's quite useful, Thanks for your analysis!
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:17 AM