Proxy Server Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I am playing around with WebGuide, and have run into the issue most do when trying to share media off more than just the WHS box (recordsing, live TV streaming off an MCE box). One of the recommendations was to install a proxy server and forward all of the ports to that proxy, which in turn forwards the appropriate ports to the appriate PC.

Well - I am completely proxy illiterate. I have tried a few freeware applications, but still do not really understand how to do it. Does anybody have any proxy server software recommendations, or a place I can go to learn the basics of how to set one up? Some of the questions I have are:

1) Does the Proxy server have its own ip address? If so, how do I set it?

2) Do I port forward all of the ports from my router to the proxy IP?

3) How do I pick a PC to forward to if it is not the one I have the proxy server software installed on?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks,

Erik

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:53 PM

All replies

• A proxy server is a machine that sits on your network and acts as a central "point of contact" for all requests of a certain type. There's a reasonably good explanation of the various flavors of proxy server on Wikipedia. To be honest, setting one up is often not an easy task. Your best bet for getting one working correctly with WebGuide is probably going to be WebGuide technical support or the WHS specific forums they host.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 10:25 PM