none
No Recent TechNet/MSDN Forum Activity in Views

General discussion

• I don't know if anyone can see this but:

All views of TechNet and MSDN forum threads show no activity (per the bread crumbs) in the last 5 plus hours. This includes the My Threads, My Forums, the forum home page (all forums), and My Forums Threads.

If you open a thread there can be more recent activity, but this is not reflected in the bread crumbs (number of replies or time of last reply) on the views. Makes it impossible to tell where there is recent activity.

I have tried on 2 computers with IE 9 and IE 11 on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I refreshed many times.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:21 PM

All replies

• Yep, I see the same thing.

The RSS feeds are still working, that's the only way I'm keeping up with threads right now.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:55 PM
  • It may have cleared up, since I can see this thread (and some others). I emailed fissues and they replied with this about an hour ago:

Thank you for reaching out to us,

we already know this issue and we are working on it.

Edit: No, it is not fixed. The My Threads view is good, which allows me to respond in this thread. But I just checked all others and they show most recent activity over 7 1/2 hours ago. My Forums Threads and all Forums views. If you open any thread you see recent activity, but you don't know which has more activity until you open it. And there is no way (other than RSS feed) to see new posts/questions (except your own).

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:41 PM
  • The thread lists still look frozen from my end. I haven't heard back from fissues yet.

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Hello,

I've emailed fissues as well.

My activity is 21 hours old as of now.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, December 11, 2015 4:52 PM
  • sort=lastpostdesc parameter seems to have stopped working....

So you got a reply from fissues? I e-mailed them a week ago and still no reply.

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:46 PM
  • I got one response from fissues that said they were aware of the issue and nothing further.

Seems to be working normally again now, but who knows what happened to those threads created during the problem time.

Monday, December 14, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Things seemed to clear up in the last few days, but now I see problems again.

I see recent activity in the "My threads" view, but it does not show up in the "My forums threads" view. Unlike in the past, however, it does show up when I view the forum itself. I recently have been depending on the "My forums threads" view to keep up, rather then navigating to each forum I monitor. Now once again this view doesn't keep up to date.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:44 PM
  • I don't really use that view, but it seems to be up to date for me.

We'll see if this post shows up...

EDIT: Yep, seems to be:

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:50 PM
  • I now see activity in "My Threads" in the last 40 minutes that does not show in any other view. When I view all threads in all TechNet forums, the last activity shown is more than 9 hours ago. I believe we again have no way to view threads we have not participated in, except perhaps by viewing another person's profile.

Edit: No, I checked several people's profiles. I am the only person in all of TechNet (or MSDN) with any forum activity in the last 10 hours. This includes jrv, Mike Laughlin, Just Karl, and Dave Patrick.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:50 AM
  • Same for me

Forum view:

RSS View of the same forum:

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:26 PM
  • This is happening for me again as well...

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Yep, same here. The thread listings seem to be frozen again, but My Threads is keeping up.

We'll see if the activity list is frozen again too...

EDIT: Seems so, I don't see this post in my activity list.

EDIT2: I reached out to fissues and heard back almost immediately this time. They're aware of the issue and the engineering team is working on it.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:45 PM
  • Ok so.... does anyone know whom to call to fix this?

*desperately tries to not make the obvious ghostbusters pun....*

I don't think there's anyone else outside of fissues who we can really call on.

GHOSTBUSTERS!!

Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Right. I see the same problem now :( How unfortunate - no way to participate in the forums and answer new threads :(

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Apparently there are some big issues going on in the forums. May be in the SQL side assuming they are using SQL Server (Azure?) ?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:43 PM
  • It is strange how the only view that keeps up to date is the "My threads" page. The only other indication of recent activity is the "My forums" view, where the breadcrumbs can show recent activity in a forum. But you cannot see it, either in the forum itself or the user profile. You can only see it if the post was in a thread you posted in before. Then it shows up in "My threads".

Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Right. I see the same problem now :( How unfortunate - no way to participate in the forums and answer new threads :(
    I've been using the forum RSS views to keep up with new threads, those are still up to date.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Same here. The RSS feed shows updated threads. The web view doesn't.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Things looked to be degrading again last night, then the forums were taken completely offline for around 15 minutes. After they came back then no more updates except via RSS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:19 PM
  • What should I set in Google Chrome to read RSS properly? Right now it just shows me as notepad text and this is no help at all.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:36 PM
  • I think you'll need one of the third party RSS extensions for chrome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Looks like you'll need to install an extension for the RSS feed to display properly.

I don't use Chrome, so I don't have any recommendations on which to use.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Works fine in Firefox. "Live bookmark"

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Does it automatically display correctly in IE?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:26 PM
  • I added an extension, but when going into the actual threads shows nothing new.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:33 PM

My blog

My TechNet articles

Yes, it does.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:47 PM
    Yeah, it does. You might want to switch over to IE until they get this fixed, just so you don't have to screw around with your standard browser setup.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:51 PM
  • Is there an update on this yet?

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    Really enjoyed it? See my profile!
    My Tech Net Articles.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:33 PM
  • I haven't heard anything additional from the forums team as of yet.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:35 PM
  • When I open threads in IE from RSS they don't contain all new messages. Besides, I like to use Chrome although RSS works nicely in IE (wish Chrome would have something native for this as well).

I think I'm giving up for now.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Here is a funny tidbit: When using the NNTP bridge, I seem to see all posts, although it's difficult to tell for sure. I had a busy night last night, answering questions that were unanswered because not very many else could see them. But since so much else is broken, I don't know if anyone is actually seeing the answers...

I should clarify is that it is the old NNTP bridge that uses the SOAP interface that works. The new one that uses REST does not seem to pick up new posts.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, December 18, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Posts that have responses are being flagged in the "My Posts" link, which is updating, so hopefully the people you've helped are able to see it.

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    My Tech Net Articles.

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:15 PM
  • I had thought something was wrong with my computer.  In a way, I'm glad I'm not alone.

It's a great excuse for a holiday, don't you think?

Russel Loski, MCT, MCSE Data Platform/Business Intelligence. Twitter: @sqlmovers; blog: www.sqlmovers.com

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:05 PM
  • I'm with you Russ,

The weather outside is delightful, the forum performance is frightful.
    Since there's no questions that show, let us go, let us go, let us go.

My Tech Net Articles.

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:11 PM
  • The weather outside is delightful, the forum performance is frightful.

Since there's no questions that show, let us go, let us go, let us go.

Haha, that really made my day :-)

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Still broken for me. Also the questions that were answered yesterday are no longer showing up in my activity feed.

I hope they fix it soon.

I hope you found this helpful! If you did, please vote it as helpful on the left. If it answered your question, please mark it as the answer below. :)

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:02 PM
  • As others said, MSFT is working on it: https://twitter.com/tmeringer/status/677858701156421632

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:48 PM
  • It would appear we're back in business.

My Tech Net Articles.

Friday, December 18, 2015 6:22 PM
  • It looks like it's starting to catch up a bit, but not everything is back in sync.

No activity from yesterday or this morning is showing up in my list, nor have those threads updated in the thread listings.

Friday, December 18, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Some recent posts are sporadically showing up over the last few hours. I'm not sure we are seeing all of them, and I don't see all of my posts in my profile activities.

Friday, December 18, 2015 6:26 PM