Backup of data on non-client drives RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi.. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've done a ton of searching around and haven't been able to find a good answer.

Here's my scenario:

I have a file server that contains all my media (movies/photos/music), and it's running an older version of WHS.

Recently, I built a new dedicated backup machine, and installed WHS 2011 on it. I have this server set up to backup my Windows PCs on my network.

Here's my question:

I'd also like to see if I can have my WHS 2011 system backup my media on my older WHS media server. Obviously, I can't install the WHS 2011 client software on that machine, since it's not a supported OS. I can "view" the media files on my WHS 2011 machine (through network drives), and on my client machines through the same. Is there any way I can have WHS backup the media through network/mapped drives? Are there any add-ins that would help?

If not, do you have any suggestions on how best to backup that data? The only thing I can think of is to install some generic backup software onto my WHS2011 machine, and have that setup to backup the data through the network/mapped drive... And maybe also have WHS do local server backups of that data..

Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• Try Synctoy or Syncback.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:48 PM
  • As suggested above SyncToy works well. I run it in a client machine which syncs shared folders on one server to shared folders on another. I have it set to "Contribute" so that the second server always has more data than the first - that is, if I delete a file from the first server, either accidentally or on purpose, it still exists on the second. I then tidy up my second server manually - not totally automatic but safer.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Also an option: robocopy or richcopy, both free from Microsoft.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Thanks, everyone, for your help. I appreciate it.

I'm now using Synctoy to sync my DE'ed old WHS media drives onto a raid-5 folder/drive on my WHS2011 system.. Seems to be working well.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:10 AM