locked
http://servername/connect RRS feed

  • Question

  • Doesn't work. Just get a search page. Tried a few different browsers with the same result. Right now I'm still installing updates but I have a sinking feeling none of those will help. Since it seems like 90 jillion folks are having pretty much the same problem has anyone come up with a definitive answer yet you could point me at?

    Windows home server 2011. All machines are win 7 pro.

    Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:32 AM

Answers

  • Hi, James.

    Actually I got past the problem.

    Initially I had the user name as the actual name of the client machine. And all my machines have a name and the date they went into service. So it was like xxxx1232012 or whatever.

    Thinking maybe that was some sort of conflict I dumped that and changed to just xxxx.

    Nothing.

    So I added another client, again using that ones actual name.

    Interestingly took 3 tries. Kept telling me I couldn't use ascii characters even tho there were none.

    Anyway... It finally worked and the cinnector installed. On two machines so far.

    No idea why. But I'm a happy camper in that respect. Now I'm playing with remote access and pulling out one gray hair at a time. LOL

    But thanx for getting back to me!

    Gary

    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, May 21, 2012 10:27 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 3:12 AM

All replies

  • ... Just get a search page. ...

    What search page? That you get a search page, though, makes me think your ISP is using a third party DNS provider like OpenDNS; some of those DNS providers do things that aren't exactly "standard".

    You can also use your server's IP address instead of the name.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Hmm... yeah that works. But when it gets to the password for the server it says it's incorrect. Am I having fun yet? :(
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

    I think the search page is from the search provider such as Bing. The URL you enter could not be resolved properly. So the search provider just returns the similar result.

    At first, you need to make sure that the URL works properly internally. You need to try the following URLs to do the test on the client internally:

    http://<server_name>:65510/connect
    https://<server_name>:65515/connect

     

    Regards,
    James


    James Xiong

    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Well, using the IP for the server or right clicking on the server in network I can get to the software download so it's not a major problem. But once I start the download it runs until it gets to the server password and then it give me the "password is incorrect" problem. No idea where to go from here.

    First time I tried it I had an old machine I converted to a server. Same problem. So I built a brand new machine and it made no difference.

    I have to wonder tho if the servername/connect problem is related to not having the ability to install the connector.

    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:43 PM
  • FWIW, the search page that comes up shows www1.dlinksearch.com/main?url=(actual name of server)&w=1551&h=894&ifc=0 in the address bar.

    And yeah, tried giving it a static IP.

    Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:32 PM
  • FWIW, the search page that comes up shows www1.dlinksearch.com/main?url=(actual name of server)&w=1551&h=894&ifc=0 in the address bar.

    And yeah, tried giving it a static IP.

    Please disable Advanced DNS in your router's configuration; it's the source of the name resolution problem.

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Kewl. I can use the browser to get to the software download now but still getting the password incorrect error. :(

    Friday, May 18, 2012 3:02 AM
  • This didn't help me but some say it worked for them...

    •Start –> type secpol.msc in the Search Box and click the magnifying glass
     •Select Local Policies –> Security Options –> Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication level
     •Change the setting to Send NTLM response only 
    •Save
     •Restart the machine
     •Attempt the installation again.

    Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

    At first, please look into the Dashboard on the Users Tab, please make sure the user is active and the RWA is allowed. Just like the figure below:

    Since the client could discover the server, it proved the connection between the server and client is fine. So the issue might be related to the permission.

    Could you please share a snapshot that you enter the credentials format? ServerName\UserLogonName + Password or ServerIP\UserLogonName + Password.

    At the same time, You need to make sure that your server and client are both up-to-date.

    Regards,

    James


    James Xiong

    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Hi, James.

    Actually I got past the problem.

    Initially I had the user name as the actual name of the client machine. And all my machines have a name and the date they went into service. So it was like xxxx1232012 or whatever.

    Thinking maybe that was some sort of conflict I dumped that and changed to just xxxx.

    Nothing.

    So I added another client, again using that ones actual name.

    Interestingly took 3 tries. Kept telling me I couldn't use ascii characters even tho there were none.

    Anyway... It finally worked and the cinnector installed. On two machines so far.

    No idea why. But I'm a happy camper in that respect. Now I'm playing with remote access and pulling out one gray hair at a time. LOL

    But thanx for getting back to me!

    Gary

    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, May 21, 2012 10:27 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 3:12 AM