Communicating with External IM Users RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 2007 OCS RC1 enviroment and have certificates with all 3 of the external IM providers (AOL, MSN, and Yahoo).  We are finding that for example a Yahoo user IM's someone inside our company they won't get the message.  However, if the person in our company sends an IM to that Yahoo user they get the message and they are able to message each other and from then on the Yahoo user can start conversations with our internal user.  Is there a setting or policy that can be changed so that if external IM users message people in our company they will get the IM even if they have never IM'ed that person before?

I did try changing the setting on our edge server to allow all communication from the provider even though it will put us at more risk for spim but that hasn't solved the problem.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• Have you restarted the Access Edge service after matking that change?  And does that behavior apply to all PIC contacts (AIM and MSN as wellas Yahoo users)?

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Yes, I restarted the server last night and this morning it's still the same no matter which provider I use (AIM, MSN, or Yahoo).
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Does the remote remote party receive an error message when thjey attempt to initiate a conversation?  What type of certificate configuration do you have setup on your Access Edge server?

I'm also assuming you have these users each enabled for PIC, as communications would fail in both directions if the internal users were not enabled for it.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:53 PM
  • No, the remote party doesn't get an error message and they don't get any kind of presence information.  What do you mean by the type of certificate configuration setup?  The person that set up this system has been let go and so OCS was put into my lap.  I've been reading a book about OCS and trying to learn what I can but my knowledge of OCS is fairly small. 

Yes, all of our users are enabled for PIC.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:50 PM
  • The possibilty that occured to me is that the Access Edge FQDN that was used to setup PIC for your environment may have been changed.  So when PIC users attempt to connect to one of your users your Access Edge server cannot be located, hence the failed connection.  But if an internal user sends an IM to a PIC user your Edge server knows where to find the PIC servers correctly, and then that communications session establishes correctly.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:20 PM