none
Installing HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 3 on Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a small cluster using Windows Server 2016 and I've encountered a number of problems installing and using HPC Pack 2016.  Is it possible to use HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 3 on Windows Server 2016?

Some Details:

I was running Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter and I tried 3 VMs under Hyper-V running Windows Server 2016 Standard.  One for AD/DHCP/DNS, one for the Head Node, and one compute node.

The HPC Pack 2016 head node install failed at the Service Fabric install.  I fixed this by substituting a newer service fabric cab file as pointed out in a post here.

I manually installed HPC Pack 2016 on the compute node and it showed up in the cluster manager, however when I used the add node wizard, I could not proceed because the node template drop down did not work or show any templates.

From these problems, I started to think that it might be better to stay with HPC Pack 2012 R2, however I would like to know if it is supported on Windows Server 2016

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi, Tim

If you already install the HPC Pack 2016 on the compute node and it showed up, why you still need to use the add node wizard? I suppose you only need to assign node template to the "un-approved" nodes.

And you shall install Server 2016 as compute nodes in Cluster 2012 R2 Update 3.

And sorry for bringing troubles in HPC Pack 2016, we are working on a new update 1, and we do want to solve the problems our customer meets. Thus do please let us know the details of your error you meet to help improve the product.

Qiufang Shi

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Hi Qiufang,

I built a small virtual test cluster to try out HPC Pack 2016.  I installed the head node in one VM as described in my first post, with the substitute for the service fabric cab.  I then proceeded to install HPC Pack 2016 on a compute node VM as a compute node.  Then I go to the cluster manager and the new node shows up as "unapproved" exactly like it would in 2012R2U3.  With 2012R2U3, I would right click and select "Add Node" which brings up the Add new node wizard and then add the node.  However, with HPC Pack 2016, I right clicked and selected "Add Node" and the node shows up, however the Node Template selector is blank with no selections.  I can't proceed because the next button is grayed out.  The only way I can add the node is to select assign template, which then adds the node.

After all this trouble, I've decided to revert to 2012R2U3 and so far I've had no problems with it running on Server 2016 for both compute nodes and head node.  The final problem I had was the there didn't appear to be a cluster copy tool for copying files to all the nodes.  The cluster copy program only works for 2012R2.  Since I use this tool a lot, it was difficult to use HPC Pack 2016.

Hopefully this helps you in improving the HPC Pack 2016. 

Tim

Saturday, May 20, 2017 2:18 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback, we will create two work items for these two issues, should be fixed and include in HPC Pack 2016 Update 1.

Thanks,

Yongjun

Monday, May 22, 2017 4:28 AM