Could Not Initialize UI Subsystem... RRS feed

• Question

• I see from the related questions that a couple of other folks have had this message come up. I am getting this error message and it is keeping WHS from installing, I've tried running it on 2 different computers with the same error message. I am running a typical P4 systems although I am going to be changing out the HD most likely tomorrow or saturday, any other ideas on what it could be? Thanks folks...

Al

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:15 AM

Answers

• This message can occur if you do not have enough RAM. I know I tried to install on a system with 256MB and an onboard video controller which used part of the RAM for video. I found that by reducing the size of the shared video RAM I could proceed with the installation past the "can not initialize UI subsystem", only to hit a screen saying "Windows home server requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM"

Good luck,

-Jim

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:19 AM
  • Well here is a good one.. I solved the problem.. I know I am going to get long winded so I apologize..

I wanted to install on a P4 1.4 with 640 Megs of RAM and a brand new 320Gig HD. Not a bad system of scraps laying around the room. Anyways, I spend 4 hours last night downloading everything go to install and get the above error.. NO big deal I will do it tonight, I go to my local closing down CompUSA buy my new HD and toss it in the P4 I still get the error, I download all sorts of drivers, still can't get it running. I try to install on a P3 1ghz with 256 RAM which is laying around gathering dust, I toss a DVD rom on it and wammo it comes up saying not enough memory but it showed up.. I throw everything on that machine and it won't install.. Then by chance I start burning some wood as I am thinking and the only thing about the two systems which are different, other then the Motherboard, the DVD rom. I toss the extra one on the P4 and it installs. I would have never figured that the DVD rom would hold things up.. Sheesh.. At least it is running now, backing up a 120Gig HD on a test machine pretty fast too.. Sheesh.. Guess Norton Ghost will be a thing of the past soon.

Al

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Had the same problem "Could Not Initialize UI SubSystem" try 2 downloads,  3 DVD bruns, still no good.
    The problem was a bad dvd Drive on WHS,  got a new dvd drive that fixed the problem and installed RC1 OK
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:31 AM

All replies

• This message can occur if you do not have enough RAM. I know I tried to install on a system with 256MB and an onboard video controller which used part of the RAM for video. I found that by reducing the size of the shared video RAM I could proceed with the installation past the "can not initialize UI subsystem", only to hit a screen saying "Windows home server requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM"

Good luck,

-Jim

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:19 AM
  • Well here is a good one.. I solved the problem.. I know I am going to get long winded so I apologize..

I wanted to install on a P4 1.4 with 640 Megs of RAM and a brand new 320Gig HD. Not a bad system of scraps laying around the room. Anyways, I spend 4 hours last night downloading everything go to install and get the above error.. NO big deal I will do it tonight, I go to my local closing down CompUSA buy my new HD and toss it in the P4 I still get the error, I download all sorts of drivers, still can't get it running. I try to install on a P3 1ghz with 256 RAM which is laying around gathering dust, I toss a DVD rom on it and wammo it comes up saying not enough memory but it showed up.. I throw everything on that machine and it won't install.. Then by chance I start burning some wood as I am thinking and the only thing about the two systems which are different, other then the Motherboard, the DVD rom. I toss the extra one on the P4 and it installs. I would have never figured that the DVD rom would hold things up.. Sheesh.. At least it is running now, backing up a 120Gig HD on a test machine pretty fast too.. Sheesh.. Guess Norton Ghost will be a thing of the past soon.

Al

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:11 AM
  • I tried to install on a AMD 64 +3000 with 1Gig of ram and a 120 Gig Hd with an HP 640 DVD drive and I'm getting no where. I have another MB but it doesn't boot from and DVD. So it looks like I'm in the "rock and a hard place" area right now.

Scott

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I also had the "could not initialize subsystem..." message and it was an issue with the DVD I had burned with DeepBurner, which does not have a verify capability. I downloaded imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/ and that made a huge difference. I also used the same DVD burner to create the disc and then swapped it into the machine I was loading WHS on. Once I had WHS running I removed the DVD and put it back in the original system.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:27 AM
  • I found the software that you mentioned and d/l'ed a copy and burned my DVD with it. That took care of the "could not initialize subsystem..." error that I was getting. Now I just need to get the software installed on my HD.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Had the same problem "Could Not Initialize UI SubSystem" try 2 downloads,  3 DVD bruns, still no good.
    The problem was a bad dvd Drive on WHS,  got a new dvd drive that fixed the problem and installed RC1 OK
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:31 AM
  • I am having the exact same error. I've tried several downloads and several DVD burns... to no avail.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Try replacing the DVD drive you're installing with. Also, note that you replied to a thread that had no activity in nearly 3 years...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:24 PM