To Raid or not to Raid... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2003 server that I'm going to upgrade to WHS.

My question is I'm currently running Raid 6 using a Areca 1170. What is the best way to set this up using WHS. Should I (or even can I) still use my Areca card and run hardware Raid, which to windows looks like one big drive while Raid 6 gives me two drive redundancy, or setup the hard drives on the Areca card as "Just a bunch of drives" and let WHS handle the drive grouping?

Is there going to be a performance hit with one vs. the other? 

With WHS backups across different drives is one safer than the other?

Last, if I do let WHS handle the drives will I lose what I currently have on them?

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:45 AM

All replies

• The unfortunate thing seems to be that WHS is not supposed to support RAID, however it has been done by others.
    Personally, I think RAID 6 is the best way to go, it will be the fastest and most reliable as I haven't really enjoyed Disk Extender.  However, DE is much cheaper than implementing a RAID 6 solution, but since you already have it, give it a shot.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:47 AM
  •  cweb wrote:
    The unfortunate thing seems to be that WHS is not supposed to support RAID, however it has been done by others.
    Personally, I think RAID 6 is the best way to go, it will be the fastest and most reliable as I haven't really enjoyed Disk Extender. However, DE is much cheaper than implementing a RAID 6 solution, but since you already have it, give it a shot.

It's not that it's not "supposed" to support RAID, I think. WHS is designed to be easy to use, and RAID is not really easy to use. In it's present (beta) incarnation, WHS definitely does support most RAID HBAs, since they mostly all have Windows Server 2003 drivers.

I have seen mention that there have been issues with RAID and WHS, but I haven't been able to find the bug reports in Connect, so I don't know what cards, driver versions, or issues.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:34 PM