none
Large files run out of diskspace when synchronizing over old file RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.0 Beta on an XP machine with NTFS file systems. There is one very large (1GB) file in my folder pair and if this was changed on the source, SyncToy cannot copy it to the destination. The reason is that it runs out of disk space. However, the file that was changed is the exact same size, so it already exists on the destination. There is 800MB free on destination and the file is 1GB in size. Might it be that it is trying to make a full 1GB copy of the file before deleting the file being copied over?

Can't the file be deleted (or moved to recycle bin) before the copy takes place? Even if the file would not fit in the recycle bin, it should not error out by running out of disk space. There should be 800 MB free before
    and 800 MB free after the operation. I can copy the file by hand before running SyncToy, but isn't that SyncToy's job? It seems like others would have this same problem when using memory sticks, but I did not find reference to it in other posts. Thank you for clearing this up for me.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:25 PM

All replies

• You are right - we first try to download the file to the destination and verify that we can download it correctly before we delete the old file. We have to be careful when moving files like this so as to avoid deleting data before we can confirm that it can be successfully updated.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Thank you for your reply to my post, Deepa, and for confirming by interpretation of how SyncToy works in Synchronization mode.  I would understand the precaution if the operation were moving a file from source to destination, but in this case it is only copying it.  So therefore, if the copy did not take place correctly, deleting the old destination file should be no problem.  The source file (wanted file) is still intact and available for another copy when the destination or connection is corrected.

At the very least, there should be an option in SyncToy to not copy before delete on destination files.  This could be an option set up on a folder set basis, on a file basis, or as only when the free space won't allow two copies to exist on the destination at the same time.  I can see this particularly being a problem when copying to limited sized products, such as memory sticks or cards.  Briefcase never had this problem and it is a shame that the new SyncToy has to have a work around for synchronizing large files on a limited destination size drive when the old Briefcase never had this problem.

So thank you for submitting this fix to the problem for consideration in the next release.
    Bill Bethke
    Friday, April 4, 2008 4:16 PM