Realtek 8168 problem with restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had a working whs/pc configuration. Due to a Mobo failure on one of my pc's  I had to replace my M2NPV-mx Asus mobo with a MSI KA790GX with an onboard Realtek 8168/8111C(P) ndis 6.0 interface. The PC wth this board installed works ok with WHS. However, when I want to restore a partition with the newest Restore CD (image downloaded on 1st.mar.2009) it fails with "Restore CD cannot find Server" error message.

I tried several things mentioned elsewhere here or in the software forum:

disconnect from router from dsl line (dns problem) does not work
    try restore cd from another pc (yes, this woked!)
    try restore cd and load drivers from ram disk, does not work

the result was the same - the restore system could not find the server.

I tried to specifiy the server name by hand - network error ???
    I tried to specify the ip address - network error

For your information I have dhcp enabled on the router, whs and all pc's have fixed ip addresses
    the server is even in the same workgroup as the other pc's - still no workie!!

When it comes to the driver display section the restore cd correctly shows the network devie and the driver for it, but...

I believe this is a problem with the RTL 8168. I checked the list of drivers on the restore CD - RTL 8168 is mentioned there - still no workie!!

Is there anyone out there  who can help ??

Thanks for any guesswork

Erik
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• I gess I can answer this question from trial and error.

The solution is to get the newest Realtek VISTA driver (yes, really, XP driver does not work!!!) from the Realtek Site at 

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Be sure to copy the VISTA Version 6.216 (or later) to your usb stick/ram disk !

Boot your restore CD and load additional drivers. The NIC shows then up as a pci device (even If you have it on board, like I have)
    but it works.

Thanks god this one is fixed1

Best regards

ERik
    • Marked as answer by Rosdol Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:48 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I've had exactly the same problem - above solution is a life saver although the last 7 hours of my life are now sadly history
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:43 PM