none
Can WHS synchonize user account passwords? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently researching WHS, so don't yet have a version to play with.

From what I've read, user accounts on client PC's are matched to user accounts on the server.  I understand that if the client/server user account names and passwords match, then users can connect automatically to the server.  Otherwise, they have to enter the server password manually each time they want to connect.

Once the accounts are all matched up, does WHS have a way of synchronizing password changes between all client PCs and server?  Eg. if a user changes their password on a client PC, will the passwords be automatically updated on all client PC's and the server?

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but this would definitely be a nice feature to have.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    you get a warning from the connector software, that the passwords are not matching and the connector software also offers the ability, to synchronize the passwords.
    (Although I find it more simple, to allow the user to enter his new password in the console, if necessary.)
    So no, it's not automatic at this time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:19 PM
  • seesharpist said:

I'm currently researching WHS, so don't yet have a version to play with.

From what I've read, user accounts on client PC's are matched to user accounts on the server.  I understand that if the client/server user account names and passwords match, then users can connect automatically to the server.  Otherwise, they have to enter the server password manually each time they want to connect.

Correct.

seesharpist said:

Once the accounts are all matched up, does WHS have a way of synchronizing password changes between all client PCs and server?  Eg. if a user changes their password on a client PC, will the passwords be automatically updated on all client PC's and the server?

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but this would definitely be a nice feature to have.

Well, it's semi-automatic. :)  If the user accounts on the client and server match but the passwords don't, the Connector software will tell you that you that the passwords don't match and will give you the option to synchronize the passwords using either the password stored on the server, the password stored on the client, or leave it as it is.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you get a warning from the connector software, that the passwords are not matching and the connector software also offers the ability, to synchronize the passwords.
    (Although I find it more simple, to allow the user to enter his new password in the console, if necessary.)
    So no, it's not automatic at this time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:19 PM
  • seesharpist said:

I'm currently researching WHS, so don't yet have a version to play with.

Correct.

seesharpist said:

Well, it's semi-automatic. :)  If the user accounts on the client and server match but the passwords don't, the Connector software will tell you that you that the passwords don't match and will give you the option to synchronize the passwords using either the password stored on the server, the password stored on the client, or leave it as it is.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Thanks Olaf and kariya21.

That's a better answer than I expected, which is good.  Another WAF point notched up!!

Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:47 PM