office communicator installation error: Not available communicator can only be installed on server 2003 sp1 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Had three servers fail due to WMI errors therfore i need to re-install these roles again

Communicator web access

Quality of experiance server

Edge server

I can no longer run the setup on any of these servers as the OCS setup wizard is telling me that it can only be deployed on Windows 2003 server SP1 or higher.

These machines are all windows 2003 SP2 and installed originally  a few months ago with out any problems.

any ideaswhy this is happening?

Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Mike,

Can you provide event log information for at least one of these systems?

Also, are all three producing the same errors?

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:31 PM
  • yup same wmi errors on all 4 servers....

4 servers are still ok...but 4 others in total has the same issue

This is the origanl error i got on 4 servers all on the same day... (power went out and ups didnt keep the servers up long enough)

WinMgmt could not open the repository file. This could be due to insufficient security access to the "<%SystemRoot%>\System32\WBEM\Repository", insufficient disk space or insufficient memory.

I

I have sucesfully re-installed the frontend server and imported the backup so it went fine, however when i try te re-deploy the remaining failed roles on 3 more servers i get a error trying to re-install usint the wizard

Im also seeing this error now

Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.

When i try to run wbemtest.exe and then click ok. to Verify that i can access the root sop namespace i cannot connect at all.

i cant even re-install service pack 2 now without it crapping out and giving errors

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  

Check to see if the WMI service is running....

It might be worth while rebuilding the server(s).

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Mike, As your probably already aware WMI problems are sometimes hard to resolve without resorting to the original media. Just interested in a few things, with the power outage - are your servers running a RAID controller with battery backup? Could be an issue whereby the disk writes were lost due to loss of power and this has caused some partal corruption. Secondly have you run a disk check accros the Boot and System partitions?

You could also try and repair WMI by removing it and forcing it to reregister itself. This can be a dangerous operation sometims and its obviously advisable to have a backup first. To do so dump the winmgmt Service. Delete the folder called %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM\Repository and everything in it. Reboot the system normally. Login and open a command prompt and type the following commands in order:
    winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf
    This will force the re-registration of the WINMGMT service. Although, if WMI is damaged, re-registering can be a problem. If this approach does not work, an in-place upgrade (i.e., a repair installl) might be required.

Cheers...

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:43 AM
  • You get WMI errors if the OCS Service Accounts passwords have expired

Can you check all service accounts and make sure that the passwords are not set to expire!

Restart your OCS Servers and see what happens

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:51 PM
  •  

Thanks guys,

I have tried the repair method and theWMI is so bad nothing helps...i have decided just to blow the boxes away and re-install win2k3 and the apropriate ocs services....much cleaner this way  ( and i know it will work )

Thanks all for you help

Mike

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:11 PM