Live Mesh stuck at "currently starting" after re-boot RRS feed

• Question

• I have mesh installed on 5 computers.  All are working fine except 1 box (running XP).

After a re-boot, it remains in "Live Mesh is currently starting" mode, but never ever actually starts up.   If I un-install and re-install, it works, until the next re-boot.   I've gone thru this iteration several times with the same results.

I've e-mailed my logs in (to LMPrev@microsoft.com) 6 days ago but have heard nothing.

Anyone have the same experience and found a solution?
    Monday, November 10, 2008 12:36 PM

Answers

• scdave,

I apologize that you were left without contact for 6 days; that is certainly not the process that we typically follow.  We do have several reports of a bug where customers are in a 'Failed to Start' situation after the latest update.

If you would be so kind, please send me another mail at LMPREV and reference the screen name you use here (scdave) and I will then correlate that with the communication we have and get to the bottom of how you got dropped for 6 days.  I can also then confirm if you are experiencing a known variation of this failure.

We are working hard to get everyone back up and running ASAP.

Thank you!

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Monday, November 10, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• I have the exact problem on two Windows machines, and I also emailed my logs.  Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling every time, I repair the installation using add/remove in control panel.  This is a real pain, but not as bad as re-syncing folders every time.

Why is this beta so buggy?
    Monday, November 10, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Unfortunately, when I try the "repair" option, I get the "Unable to Sign In To Live Mesh - Please make sure your username and password are correct" message.    But...

After clearing IE cache, and removing all MSFT/Mesh/Live/MSN cookies, I was allowed to log in.

I supposed I could set up a script to do this every day on login......or maybe easier to just uninstall the freaking program.  Grrrr
    • Edited by scdave Monday, November 10, 2008 3:11 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:04 PM
  • just out of interest, are there any hints at all in the logs?
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Not really anything too helpful.  Things like:

Failed to add authorization to GET request for resource https://accounts.mesh.com/Identities

or

Exception System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Failed to find authorization tickets for resource

Basically, Mesh cannot seem to authenticate.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I do have one computer successfully running the updated Live Mesh: a Windows XP home SP2.

My other two computers are Windows XP Pro SP3.  I tried removing XP3 from the two computers that are "currently starting," but that didn't do the trick, either.

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Unfortunately I've been running into the same thing since the most recent update...  uninstall/reinstall works for one reboot.  This is on my XP-SP2 machine.. my Vista boxes work fine.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:18 PM
  • scdave,

I apologize that you were left without contact for 6 days; that is certainly not the process that we typically follow.  We do have several reports of a bug where customers are in a 'Failed to Start' situation after the latest update.

If you would be so kind, please send me another mail at LMPREV and reference the screen name you use here (scdave) and I will then correlate that with the communication we have and get to the bottom of how you got dropped for 6 days.  I can also then confirm if you are experiencing a known variation of this failure.

We are working hard to get everyone back up and running ASAP.

Thank you!

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Monday, November 10, 2008 8:55 PM