none
HP MediaSmart EX470 on multi (32 & 64-bit) operating systems RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I have mult PCs (xp & vista - all 32-bit) using my MediaSmart server. I just bought a new pc that is running vista (64-bit) and I am unable to use the server. I did find the information on upgrading the server to 64-bit, but I want to make sure:
    1. If I do that, will ALL of my pcs (including the ones running a 32-bit operating system) still be able to access / update the server.
    2. Do I have to backup the server, before I convert it to 64-bit (I have a ton of pictures and other information on it)?
    3. When I convert the server to 64-bit, will it delete all of the files (pictures, music, documents...) that are currently on it?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Don't worry - you've got the info slightly wrong!

The server stays 32bit, nothing changes at all with the server - there is no 64bit version of WHS. What you have, is two different versions of the Connector software that goes on your Client computers, a 32bit version and a 64bit version.
    This allows both versions of Windows to connect to your Server, so your photo's etc remain just as they were.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Don't worry - you've got the info slightly wrong!

The server stays 32bit, nothing changes at all with the server - there is no 64bit version of WHS. What you have, is two different versions of the Connector software that goes on your Client computers, a 32bit version and a 64bit version.
    This allows both versions of Windows to connect to your Server, so your photo's etc remain just as they were.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Great!!!! So, I just have to do the 'upgrade' to 64-bit on the server and I should be fine?

Thanks for your help!!!!
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:35 PM
  • As Colin said, you don't need to do anything with the server, aside from making sure that all updates are applied to it.
    Support for Vista x64 clients was added with the release of Power Pack 1 for WHS.

If you're trying to install the Connector from the CD that came with your WHS, don't.  Rather, install it by running "WHSConnector_x64.msi" from \\servername\Software\Windows Home Server Connector Software.
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hi,
    No, you don't do anything to the server at all.
    Just run the 64bit connector software which is available in the Shared Folders/Software/Home Server Connector Software folder on your 64bit Client, nothing else is required.

Colin

Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's help. I was a little confused, because I couldn't figure out how to get to the sever, before I ran the software, but I finally able to do it when I went to network (instead of going to my network places from explorer) and selected the server. Anyway... it worked great. Thanks for responding so quick!!!!!!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Colin,

Is it possible to copy the "Shared Folders/Software/Home Server Connector Software" folder to a USB stick and install the WHS Connector software on a Windows 7 64 bit system?  Have you heard of any issues or successes with this?

Thanks for your help!

G

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:03 PM