My genuine copy of Vista 64 is returning error code 0xC004E003 and declaring it not genuine!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I know my copy is a genuine OEM.The packaging and the disk look genuine and windows has been treated as so since I activated it in November 07 and the seller is reputable. It has performed normally apart from these last two days (23-24 February, 2008). On the 23rd I reinstalled vista from afresh and activation went fine and by evening I was getting the above error report. So I reinstalled windows again from scratch today with the same result.

When logging in I cannot now get past the logging in screen and am only offered various ways of activating.

1. The normal automated activation which returns the above error code  and advises me "The software licensing service evaluation failed". (Why my windows copy has been properly activated?)

2. By telephone which does not help me as I'm asked for a series of groups of 6 numbers which are not displayed on the relevant screen or on any of the packaging that came with my windows disk. I informed the CSR that I did not have on screen or otherwise any such numbers and was given a phone number of 1888 346 5229 which is not recognised when I dial it.  

In fact all I have is the Product Key code and various Microsoft bar codes and other stock numbers.

3. Re-entering my Product key which produces the same error code.

4. An offer of limited access to windows which only allows me access to the internet and takes me to a site telling me to buy another key. No thank you I think not MS have already had enough of my good hard earnt money for the copy I have.

I cant even partially access windows to get a log with the dowladable logging tool offered by this site to submit any form of log to assist in resolving this.

I find this quite perplexing (ie a fresh install activates as genuine only some hours later to revert to the above state).

The only things I can think that could be contributing to this is I have had to replace my Motherboard recently and I sometimes attach a removeable HDD to backup my system, and because of the 3GB memory problem I have to remove a 1GB memory module to install\reinstall Vista. But I would have thought the error code would have alluded to hardware change being the problem

AND no using Complete PC Backup does not help resolve this problem in fact it raises other issues with recognising my drive C: (2x750GB in Raid 0) which even with using "Diskpart" and all its associated commands to to format, partition and re-label and re-letter the drives and volumes make no difference.

Any guidance or hint on who I need to speak to would be appreciated as no helpful MS phone numbers are readily making themselves known to me. 

Thanks.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:02 PM

Answers

•  

To take the problem a bit further forward for anyone to assist further:-

I am now on my 5th fresh reinstall from scratch. On installing I activate Vista with no complaint by the system and MS acknowledge my Vista to be genuine and full access is restored until.....

I  proceed to install all the drivers for my motherboard and peripherals and at some point after reinstalling all my drivers and Vista's updates something happens to revert me to have a purportedly non-genuine copy of Vista.....

I am therefore certain that MS are happy with the genuineness of my copy of windows and the PC it is installed on.

I am beginning to believe somehow but my technical knowledge is limited that some 3rd party driver or software is somehow altering my PC's digital signature or whatever it is that MS use to authenticate Vista with my PC.

If my suspicion is correct have you any tips on how to tie the culprit down or:-

1.  Can this only be solved by a long winded hard slog methodical step by step process of ellimination.

2.  Does anyone know if MS aware of this kind of problem and is there a black list of such drivers/software.

3. Is there a way of discerning the kind of software likely to alter the PC signature/digital identity.

Thanks,

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Hello Genet1,

From your description, it sounds like Vista is in a Tamper state but I am unable to diagnose what type of tamper (and therefore a general idea of what might be causing it) without a Diagnostic Report.

To obtain a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2898463&SiteID=25 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Hi Darrin,

Thanks, I am in the throes of putting all my software back-on the system

I have no doubt from recent past experience it will not be long before the re-installation replicates my problem and when it does I will follow your above instructions and post.

Genet1

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:41 PM

All replies

•  

To take the problem a bit further forward for anyone to assist further:-

I am now on my 5th fresh reinstall from scratch. On installing I activate Vista with no complaint by the system and MS acknowledge my Vista to be genuine and full access is restored until.....

I  proceed to install all the drivers for my motherboard and peripherals and at some point after reinstalling all my drivers and Vista's updates something happens to revert me to have a purportedly non-genuine copy of Vista.....

I am therefore certain that MS are happy with the genuineness of my copy of windows and the PC it is installed on.

I am beginning to believe somehow but my technical knowledge is limited that some 3rd party driver or software is somehow altering my PC's digital signature or whatever it is that MS use to authenticate Vista with my PC.

If my suspicion is correct have you any tips on how to tie the culprit down or:-

1.  Can this only be solved by a long winded hard slog methodical step by step process of ellimination.

2.  Does anyone know if MS aware of this kind of problem and is there a black list of such drivers/software.

3. Is there a way of discerning the kind of software likely to alter the PC signature/digital identity.

Thanks,

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Hello Genet1,

From your description, it sounds like Vista is in a Tamper state but I am unable to diagnose what type of tamper (and therefore a general idea of what might be causing it) without a Diagnostic Report.

To obtain a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2898463&SiteID=25 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Hi Darrin,

Thanks, I am in the throes of putting all my software back-on the system

I have no doubt from recent past experience it will not be long before the re-installation replicates my problem and when it does I will follow your above instructions and post.

Genet1

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:41 PM