Client backup stalls when starting to transfer data RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a wierd problem when performing a backup of one of my clients. The other client is backing up without problems.
    The client causing problems is a laptop with vista home premium 32bit from Dell and has two partitions, C being the OS and data partition and D being a recovery partition to reset the computer to factory status (while loosing all data and programs). The backup of partition D backs up without problem! However, if I try to back up partition C, the backup starts to determine the changed clusters and when it starts to transfer data to the server, a brief burst of network trafic occurs and suddenly stops. The backup then never finishes. I didn't find any smoking gun in the event lists and logs of course. CHKDSK does not show any errors, neither does the Connecotr troubleshooting tool. Also the System File Check did not find any errors.

Oh, and till last summer the backups actually worked! (trying to fix the problem by deinstalling connector software, delete the computer from the server and reinstalling connector software...)
    Around the time the backups stoped working, though I am not sure whether the backups didn't work before, I had to revert to a system restore point due to a severe crash, possibly caused by a background update installation. After the restore the update was done manually and all was working fine, except the backups.

There is one current problem: some roxio program is failing at startup. However, as the D partition is backing up without problems, this shouldn't be the problem. I suspect that there is something wrong with the shadowing of partition C or of some files therein, but turning off system restore doesn't help.

Does anyone have an idea how I could find the problem files? Would exclusion of folders work to see if there is some access problem?

Thanks for your Input.

PS: I will post the configuration later

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:21 AM

All replies

• Uninstall Roxio packetCD writing - in fact uninstall anything that says Roxio.  I've had a similar problem before where my machine would lock up if I mounted UDF volumes.  If you really need to have burning software on your Windows Home Server then give ImgBurn a go - it's free from http://www.imgburn.com/

--
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Thanks. I'll do so, but Roxio is on the client, not on the server. Must have missed to type that info. Sorry.
    Did you mount UDF volumes on the server?

BTW: The server is built on a Shuttle K45 barebone. There is no space for an optical drive and I only use the server for backups and as NAS for some minor file sharing between the two clients.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Sorry I got confused with another thread I was replying to at the same time.  I should have simply said install Roxio on the client and not mentioned about burning software on the server.
    --
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:17 PM