none
Can't connect to server after downgrading from Vista to XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Lenovo laptop that came with Vista Home Premium on it.  Because of too many problems with Vista, I decided to downgrade it to XP Home.  Prior to starting the downgrade process, I installed the WHS Connector on it and it worked fine.  After backing up all the files, I then installed XP Home Premium from scratch including all new XP drivers and updates from Microsoft's update page.  The computer now works fine.  However when I try to install WHS Connector, the WHS Connector installation process stalls at the "Configuring Computer Backup" step.  There is a green check next to "Joining Windows Home Server", but a red "X" next to "Configuring Computer Backup".  It then says to make sure the server is turned on and connected to the network, which is it since I am using the server with other computers in the house at the same time.  I then uninstalled WHS Connector, rebooted the machine and reinstalled WHS Connector with the same results.  Does anyone know why?  I used the same computer name on the machine for both Vista and XP for the sake of the backups.  Is it because the WHS server is getting confused over the change in OS's?  What can I do?

I am using the version of WHS downloaded last weekend (9/5/09) from the Microsoft website.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:21 PM

Answers

• Did you try to reboot the server?
    Have you installed any application on the server?
    Can you access the server via http://server:55000 (replace server with the name of your server)?
    Is there any 3rd party security suite installed on the client, which may block necessary communications?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:31 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:04 AM

All replies

• I would say there is some problem related to the network configurations.
    From the XP machine, can you ping the server by its IP-adress  (i.e "ping 192.168.1.xxx")?
    From the XP machine, can you ping the server by its network name (i.e "ping MYSERVER")?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:41 PM
  • I do not beleive that is the case.  Both the server and client can access the internet.  Also, the WHS Connector install process is able to proceed to the point where it recogizes there is a newer version of the connector and seems to be able to attach to the server.  There is a green check next to "Joining Windows Home Server", but a red "X" next to "Configuring Computer Backup".  I beleive the problem is else where.  Any other ideas?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:56 PM
  • I do not beleive that is the case.  Both the server and client can access the internet.  Also, the WHS Connector install process is able to proceed to the point where it recogizes there is a newer version of the connector and seems to be able to attach to the server.  There is a green check next to "Joining Windows Home Server", but a red "X" next to "Configuring Computer Backup".  I beleive the problem is else where.  Any other ideas?

What file system did you use for your XP install (NTFS, FAT32, etc.)?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:25 AM
  • NTFS
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:57 AM
  • NTFS

What apps did you install on your client before the Connector software?  Did you install any type of imaging program (Ghost, True Image, etc)?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:10 AM
  • Well, another weird piece of the puzzle.

This last weekend I installed WHS on the server and installed WHS Connector on 5 out of 6 computers in the house.  The original 5 continue to work fine and connect to the server except the one I rebuilt with XP.  It has the problem I described above.  The four original untouched installations continue to work fine including downloading and installing WHS Connector version 6.0.2030.0 tonight.

Tonight I tried to install WHS connector on the 6th computer in the house.  It is having the same problem as the one I downgraded to XP, even though it is a fresh install.

The two computers exhibit the same problem when I try to install WHS Connector.  However, I noticed when they say a newer version of WHS connector is needed, the icon in the tool tray indicates WHS Connector is downloading a newer version, but after 30 or more minutes it is still downloading.  It took the other computers half the time to download the update.  I am assuming that means it is getting no where.  I am using the evaluation version - is there a limit to the number of computers you can commect with the eval version?  Anyone have any other ideas what it could be?  All six computers can access the internet and a printer on a print server I have.

Thanks in advance for the help...  PLEASE HELP!!!
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Office 2007 and NitroPDF only.  However, see my latest update.  And thank you for taking interest in my problem!
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:32 AM
  • Did you try to reboot the server?
    Have you installed any application on the server?
    Can you access the server via http://server:55000 (replace server with the name of your server)?
    Is there any 3rd party security suite installed on the client, which may block necessary communications?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:31 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:04 AM
  • I rebooted the server multiple times during the debug process.

I have installed the Avanti antivirus and downloaded all updates on the Microsoft update webpage.  I also installed the "Windows Home Server Disk Management" add-in by Tenacle Software.  That is the only additional software installed.

I'll try accessing the server via http://server:55000 tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the interest and suggestions.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:29 PM
  • I'll try accessing the server via http://server:55000 tonight when I get home.

From there, download and run the Windows Home Server Toolkit to see if it reports any problems?
    - Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Thank you!!!  Attempting to access ther server using http://server:55000 did the trick. The client computer attached and was able to successfully download and install WHS Connector.  I'll need to do some reading to see why that made a difference as compared to running the Connector installer from a flash drive.  I'll also download and install the toolkit to see if any other issues are found.

Thanks again!
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:40 PM