Cannot connect to Windows Live when attempting to setup a dynamic DNS RRS feed

• Question

• After entering a valid Windows Live username and password, I get an error 80072efd.  It will not connect to the Windows Live system and says to try again later.  This same error has occurred multiple times over several days.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:27 AM

Answers

• Possibly problem with:

1. general internet connectivity (check by browsing to a few webpages)
    2. firewall (settings).  If you have installed a third party firewall / internet security program please check settings or disable temporarily (make sure windows firewall is enabled). If you're using windows firewall and made any changes to the setting please undo. NOTE: DO NOT RESET FIREWALL TO DEFAULT SETTINGS, since this could block all access to your server.
    3. Live services you need are down. Nothing you can do about that. You could try logging on these forums using the IE browser on your WHS to check if live verification works.
    4. more then one NIC can also cause problems when not properly configured
    • Marked as answer by engr38 Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:09 AM

All replies

• Possibly problem with:

1. general internet connectivity (check by browsing to a few webpages)
    2. firewall (settings).  If you have installed a third party firewall / internet security program please check settings or disable temporarily (make sure windows firewall is enabled). If you're using windows firewall and made any changes to the setting please undo. NOTE: DO NOT RESET FIREWALL TO DEFAULT SETTINGS, since this could block all access to your server.
    3. Live services you need are down. Nothing you can do about that. You could try logging on these forums using the IE browser on your WHS to check if live verification works.
    4. more then one NIC can also cause problems when not properly configured
    • Marked as answer by engr38 Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:09 AM
  • This makes no sense to me, but it worked:

Although my router was set to properly forward ports 80, 443, and 4125, I had to put the server in the DMZ for it to access the Windows Live site.  After I put the server in the DMZ, the domain name setup worked flawlessly.  I removed the server from the DMZ and all remote access is working as it should.  Very strange, but it worked.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:02 AM