none
Can't Access Console & Backup Now RRS feed

• Question

• From the HP MediaSmart Server - Control Center I can access everything except "Home Server Console" and "Backup Now" When I double click on any of these two nothing happens. However, I am able to get to the server via Remote Desktop. Any hints why I can't access this?

Thanks

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    did your server reboot after receiving the latest WHS patch?
    Can you open the console directly on the WHS desktop? If yes, which version does it show?
    If not, please check the event log of the server for error messages (in Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:54 AM
  • the same happend to me... since the last patch.. the connector seems to be old. ant the new version doesn "t install...

Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Yes, I have rebooted the computer. I can open the console on the desktop of the HP Windows Home Server. 

Versions are:
    Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

In the event viewer for Application I see:

The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTOR.MSI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

Unspecified error

(0x80004005)

Under system I have a bunch of printer related errors (I did not install any printers on this machine but these are all printers visible on the network)

Driver AdobePS Acrobat Distiller required for printer Acrobat Distiller is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:09 PM
  • The whsconnector.msi event is a strange one, which may be the cause for your current trouble.
    You could try to uninstall the latest patch (logging in to the desktop of WHS and using Control Panel/Software with Show Updates toggled) and reboot.
    Is the error still there?
    If not, does it return after reinstalling the update?

The printer related errors are result of the fact, that a Remotedesktop session per default tries to use the client printers (opening the console is in fact also a Remotedesktop session). If the printers are not available on the server due to missing drivers, you run into this error.
    • To disable the printer redirection to Windows Home Server log on to the server desktop.
    • In Administrative Tools open Terminal Services Configuration.
    • Right click on RDP-tcp and select Properties.
    • Open the Clients tab.
    • Check the boxes to disable usage client printers and LPT ports in terminal sessions.
    • Click OK.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:41 PM
  • hfaun said:

Yes, I have rebooted the computer. I can open the console on the desktop of the HP Windows Home Server. 

Versions are:
    Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

In the event viewer for Application I see:

The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTOR.MSI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

Unspecified error

(0x80004005)

Under system I have a bunch of printer related errors (I did not install any printers on this machine but these are all printers visible on the network)

Driver AdobePS Acrobat Distiller required for printer Acrobat Distiller is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Have you upgraded the Connector software on your client PCs?  You can verify it's the latest version by browsing to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and looking at the version number of the files in that directory (i.e. WHSTrayApp.exe).  It should be 6.0.1800.24.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:42 PM
  • In my case the programs are in 

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server

All version are 1.2.4.18999. That is true for HPHSConnector, MediaAggregation, ControlCenter, DoTask and all the dlls. I had been running 'HP Update' and it did download some stuff. However, the date modified tag on all the files listed above is 4/25/08 except for HP MediaSmart Client.ini which is 11/26/08.

Note that I have a directory C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server but it only contains HPMSS_UserGuide.chm. C:\Program Files\Windows Media Connect 2 has a bunch of xml, graphics, and executable files.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:31 PM