Issues with SATA-II cords (with clips), my Adaptec SATA controller, and missing hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I am almost positive I have this issue nailed down, but I want to double check everything.  Four of my hard drives are plugged into an Adaptec 1430SA 4-port SATA controller (PCI-E) using standard SATA-II cables with clips.  I recently rewired my server for optimal airflow and had to disconnect the hard drive cables and later reconnect them to the controller.

Now, when I boot into WHS, it says 2 of my drives (which, thanks to the Disk Management add-in) connected to the Adaptec controller are missing.  I recall that plugging the SATA-II cables into this card was very hard as there was not much room due to the metal locking clips.  I have since removed the clips and am still having problems.  I know the drives are not dead as they were working fine the other day and Disk Management did not report any failures in S.M.A.R.T.

Question 1 (may be dumb):  Does it matter if I use an SATA cable vs. an SATA-II cable?  Although practical, the SATA-II locking clips are a pain for my system.

Question 2:  Regarding WHS tombstones and drives, once a drive is added to the server and it is plugged into a specific port, does that drive always need to remain on that port (Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, etc.) for WHS to recognize it, or could I move the hard drive to a new controller with new issues?

Question 3:  Assuming I need to use SATA-II cables to achieve the proper bandwith, does anyone have any sugggestions for SATA-II cables that are sized more like a standard SATA cable?  Has anyone ripped off the locking clip and attempted to file down the plastic tabs that hold the clip in place?

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

1. Probably it will make a difference. Particularly if you're using inexpensive cables...
    2. Windows Home Server will usually accept a drive no matter what port it's connected to. This includes moving a disk from a USB connection to an internal SATA or IDE connection.
    3. Have you browsed through Newegg.com? It's where I usually buy this stuff, unless I need it right now. In which case, Rat Shack, MicroCenter, Fry's, or whatever electronics store you have close to home is your best bet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:31 PM