PP1 Sever Backup Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

How does PP1 Server backup handle open files when performing a homeserver backup of the shared folders to an external hard drive? I intentionally kept some files opened and did not get any errors or warning during the backup. Just curious!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:50 PM

Answers

• The Server Data Backup feature - new in Power Pack 1 - for backing up selective shared folders on your home server to 1 or more external hard drives does not use Volume Shadow Copies.

The first version of a file is copied using standard NTFS copy command.  After that incremental copies - use NTFS Hard links, so that non-changed files are linked to previous versions that are stored on the external hard drive as part of a previous backup of a given shared folder.  So that any Shared Folder backup is complete in itself.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Open files for the Server Data Backup feature are application dependent.  It all depends on what type of lock (exclusive or non-exclusive) that the application puts on a file when it is opened.

If a file is open with an exclusive lock, then when you backup the shared folder where this file is located, you will get an error while doing the backup of the shared folder noting that this give file was open and was skipped.

You will need to test this scenario with various applications.  I tested it with Microsoft Word just now, opened an existing file.  Did a Server Backup - the file was included.  Made a few changes and did a Save-As to a new file.  Did a Server Backup.  Deleted the new file.  Did a restore from the backup of the shared folder and the new file was restored.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:51 PM

All replies

• Did your files backup correctly?  Were you able to restore them?

Sounds like a great test!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:54 PM
  • As I understand it, WHS uses Volume Shadow Copies, which should allow backups even when the file is opened. I'm not sure if that means the current file opened is backed up though, but I would guess so as long as it isn't being actively written to during the backup.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:04 PM
  • The Server Data Backup feature - new in Power Pack 1 - for backing up selective shared folders on your home server to 1 or more external hard drives does not use Volume Shadow Copies.

The first version of a file is copied using standard NTFS copy command.  After that incremental copies - use NTFS Hard links, so that non-changed files are linked to previous versions that are stored on the external hard drive as part of a previous backup of a given shared folder.  So that any Shared Folder backup is complete in itself.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Open files for the Server Data Backup feature are application dependent.  It all depends on what type of lock (exclusive or non-exclusive) that the application puts on a file when it is opened.

If a file is open with an exclusive lock, then when you backup the shared folder where this file is located, you will get an error while doing the backup of the shared folder noting that this give file was open and was skipped.

You will need to test this scenario with various applications.  I tested it with Microsoft Word just now, opened an existing file.  Did a Server Backup - the file was included.  Made a few changes and did a Save-As to a new file.  Did a Server Backup.  Deleted the new file.  Did a restore from the backup of the shared folder and the new file was restored.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:51 PM