WHS drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have a question regarding drive failure and replacement:

Our WHS systems was showing disconnected. When we connected our monitor directly, it said Boot Disk Failure. After booting with the WHS install disk, it came back up and we see that it is a share drive, not boot disk that failed. Not sure why that happened, but it seems to be up now. Could that be a sign of something else?

I looked in Event Viewer and noticed that it shows that the bad drive has bad blocks, although I cannot run CHKDSK because it is showing that the drive is missing.

As far as replacing the failed drive, there are no spots to replace the drive before removing the "failed or missing" disk. Is there a problem with removing the failed disk first and then replacing it?

All files are set to duplicate, so is there anything I need to do to restore the shadowed files, or will WHS do so automatically?

Thank you so much for the help!

-David
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone, I have a question regarding drive failure and replacement:

Our WHS systems was showing disconnected. When we connected our monitor directly, it said Boot Disk Failure. After booting with the WHS install disk, it came back up and we see that it is a share drive, not boot disk that failed. Not sure why that happened, but it seems to be up now. Could that be a sign of something else?

I looked in Event Viewer and noticed that it shows that the bad drive has bad blocks, although I cannot run CHKDSK because it is showing that the drive is missing.

As far as replacing the failed drive, there are no spots to replace the drive before removing the "failed or missing" disk. Is there a problem with removing the failed disk first and then replacing it?

Not as long as your server is up-to-date.

All files are set to duplicate, so is there anything I need to do to restore the shadowed files, or will WHS do so automatically?

It will take care of itself once you remove the failed/missing drive.

Thank you so much for the help!

-David

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:27 PM